Nice easy "what is it question"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Finding a leak in the rad pipework, I think I've traced it to the item shown in the pic below (hopefully). What I need to know is, what is it, and can I buy a replacement for the part at the very top with the screwdriver slot in?

This screws down onto a thread protruding from the top, and has a rubber washer inside. At 20 odd years old I guess it's time it was replaced...

Also, what function does it serve, other than to leak???

Some sort of pressure release valve??

View media item 18091
Thanks in advance,

Colin

Sponsored Links
its a manual air bleed point,usualy fitted at an up and over part of the pipework where air would trap.

there are a few different types of threads for these type of air vents as i've found out in the past trying to snatch a new one on !!!!!
take a close up picture down to your plumbing merchants and ask for an air vent the same as you have, once you have it unscrew the new top..........begin to unscrew the old one as pictured, once removed water the size of a small pin hole will jet out straight up. try not to panick its only water!!! be precise in the next step. place the new top on to the old air vent and be careful when screwing on as this can cross thread. if you are a little worried about doing it"live" (with water in the system) then drain the head of the system down ( seems like its in the loft so im presuming its a bungalow) just the top half and replace, as soon as it starts to drain you should be able to swap it as this is one of the highest points on the system. once done stop draining and refill!!

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Thanks for the responses,
I did try to get a new one at B&Q, but as usual when you really need something they were out of stock.Having said that, I've tightened the existing one up, which I hope has fixed it...

Thanks for the tips on different threads, I confidently expect to buy at least one of each before ending up with the right bit.

Cheers, Colin

If the leak is from under the cap, why not just replace the washer with a new one?

Roll a little PTFE up into a ball,squash it,theres your new washer,done this loads of times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back