Johnmelad502

Plugged in here

Snakes its way under the carpet

Enters junction box (plenty of slack) and then goes behind sink unit

Up wall in trunking to connect here.to here

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thats quality workmanship that is!

If the person who did that was also responsible for the gas safety of that boiler ... I think I'd be getting someone qualified in to check it over TBH.

Does a clearly visible ridge in a carpet count?

Which is another point. Carpet in a kitchen? Should have started loud alarm bells and bright flashing lights going, warning that the previous owner had no idea whatsoever about appropriate materials.

Which is another point. Carpet in a kitchen? Should have started loud alarm bells and bright flashing lights going, warning that the previous owner had no idea whatsoever about appropriate materials.

Current owner has been in situ for 20+ years. I was there to plumb in new washing machine.

Again (from other threads) whats wrong with carpet in kitchens?

Suitability, considering External Influences... :LOL:
Such as?
Nothing whatsoever.
As long as you never do any cooking in the kitchen.
Do you do your cooking on the floor? we don't.

When we purchased the house it had 'professional kitchen vinyl' which we were told was 6 months old & cost £500 (in 1993!), it looked a mess with all the scratches and joins where it curved up the walls etc. When we redid the kitchen we laid carpet tiles as a quick fix on Christmas eve (from a shed @ £3 each). All we do now is replace every 2-3 years when they start looking worn. Result, its warmer, not scratched or discoloured and if it gets particularly dumped on a tile is taken outside hosed and brushed (only twice so far in in about 10 years). Its infinitely better than the crap getting between the gaps and under laminate etc and left there to ferment.

Any other suggestions, I'm sure I haven't tried them all yet?

Do you do your cooking on the floor? we don't.
Nor do I.

But obviously I haven't mastered the art, which you clearly have, of never ever spilling a single thing on the floor, not even the tiniest splashed drop of oil from frying, for example.

When we redid the kitchen we laid carpet tiles as a quick fix on Christmas eve (from a shed @ £3 each). All we do now is replace every 2-3 years when they start looking worn.
And in the meantime, of course, it is bound to be cleaner than a smooth non-porous surface - stands to reason.

Its infinitely better than the crap getting between the gaps and under laminate etc and left there to ferment.
Ah - of course - all those gaps in competently laid vinyl, and none between carpet tiles - how could I have not thought about that?

And how could I have been so stupid as to fail to consider how prevalent carpet is in professional kitchens?

Hi Guys
Thanks for the observations. All I can say is having lifted a decent selection of nice smooth nonporous surfaces over the years, PVC tiles, lino, vinyl, laminate etc oh and carpet both domestic and commercial I have found some revolting messes under all types of surface.
I assume (always silly) every time you have a splash of frying fat you clean it up immediately, even if you don't realise its happened.
Lets not forget that when fat or water is spilt on a nice smooth surface it is a far bigger slip hazard than on carpet and we would not want to be falling over with those pots of hot water and fat around would we?.

I accept all the pro's and con's put forward but wouldn't the world be a boring place if every one had the same tastes and opinions!

One last thing if smooth surfaces are so so good in commercial kitchens, why do they put those erm erm mat type things over the top?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back