Nail through ring main cable

Sponsored Links
I don't think we know how old the OP's house is but, to be fair, one does not have to go all that far back in time to the days when all (certainly most) electricians probably were, by the above definition, 'clowns'!

Kind Regards, John
Also if the joist has been butchered with notches over the years drilling more holes is not ideal, TBF a plate should have been used

Also if the joist has been butchered with notches over the years drilling more holes is not ideal, TBF a plate should have been used
Oh yes, I agree. If there is a notch, or a hole that is in a position which would not currently be acceptable, I would personally usually use it (with a plate in the case of a notch or a hole near the surface), rather than mutilate the joist any further.

However, in previous discussions here at least some electricians have said that they would be reluctant to use 'old holes' which were not in currently acceptable locations, even if they were in 'electrically safe' positions, through fear that they might subsequently be accused of making the holes in recent times!

Kind Regards, John

I don't think we know how old the OP's house is but, to be fair, one does not have to go all that far back in time to the days when all (certainly most) electricians probably were, by the above definition, 'clowns'!
How long ago was it acceptable to install cables in a way that risked damage to them?

Sponsored Links
How long ago was it acceptable to install cables in a way that risked damage to them?
Dunno - our 'regulation historians' may be able to tell us if/when it was compliant to run cables, unprotected, in joist notches - which may or may not correspond with what you would regard as "acceptable".

However, it is, in my experience, pretty unusual in any house of 'appreciable age' (a few decades) to find cables anywhere other than in notches on the tops of joists (without any protection) - whether that was 'acceptable' at the time it was installed or not.

Kind Regards, John

Dunno - our 'regulation historians' may be able to tell us if/when it was compliant to run cables, unprotected, in joist notches - which may or may not correspond with what you would regard as "acceptable".

However, it is, in my experience, pretty unusual in any house of 'appreciable age' (a few decades) to find cables anywhere other than in notches on the tops of joists (without any protection) - whether that was 'acceptable' at the time it was installed or not.

Kind Regards, John
I remember rewiring LA houses in 85 which had concrete joists with battens on top, we were issued with flattened steel capping to protect the cables , useless but the sentiment was there

I remember rewiring LA houses in 85 which had concrete joists with battens on top, we were issued with flattened steel capping to protect the cables , useless but the sentiment was there
Did you earth the capping?:D

Interesting - but I was not actually thinking/writing of 'that recent' - perhaps more like 60s/70s (or earlier).

In fact, although I've lifted the floorboards of many a house in my time, I'm not at all sure that I've ever done so in house originally built (and initially wired) after the 60s - so 'my experience' is probably limited by that.

Kind Regards, John

I think I can honestly state I have never seen properly protected cables in a notch in 40 years of sparking

I think I can honestly state I have never seen properly protected cables in a notch in 40 years of sparking
I can believe it.

My experience is very limited, but I've nevertheless seen an awful lot of cables in notches (often the same notches as pipes!) in my time, and I'm pretty sure that the only ones that have had any 'protection' have been those to which I have added the 'protection' myself during the last two or three decades.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back