Nail through ring main cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Being a clown, somehow I'd managed to drive a nail into a cable, that was in a notch in a floor joist, teach me for 'fixing' that floorboard!
:(
It wasn't on at the time.
On inspection, the cable is plaster into the wall and there doesn't seem a lot of slack, to add a junction box.

I had read up on here about crimping or maintenance free junction box method.
If there is not enough slack, are two junction boxes and a new 300mm bit of cable connection them acceptable.

Any opinions on these:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/chocbox/54936

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Any maintenance free box is fine. I'd drill a new hole in the joist a bit lower down, run your new 2.5mm twin and earth through the new hole, screw some stud or similar wood across the notched area to strengthen and then use two junction boxes to re-join the ring.

Two junction boxes are fine if that’s what you need to do.

The chocbox you link to is not maintenance free though. You want this.

If you need to solve it today (understandable) and only have Screwfix you’ll have to get a box of wagos and a Wago box but it’s much more expensive that way

Sponsored Links
On inspection, the cable is plaster into the wall and there doesn't seem a lot of slack, to add a junction box.

Could one of the new junctions be in a new socket on the wall ? Extra sockets are ( almost ) always usefull.

Interesting - thanks. I was not aware of these - so now we have an alternative to the Hager/Ashley ones (assuming these are compliant with the relevant Standard for MF JBs {whose number I forget!}). Do you know if they come with higher ratings than 16A and/or 4 terminals?

Kind Regards, John
I bought some by mistake and was pleasantly surprised when I opened the lid, very handy for lighting jobs

Being a clown, somehow I'd managed to drive a nail into a cable, that was in a notch in a floor joist, teach me for 'fixing' that floorboard!
You are not the clown.

That will be the person who installed the cable in a notch in the top of a joist, that will.

You are not the clown.

That will be the person who installed the cable in a notch in the top of a joist, that will.
Seems the most common reason for floorboards not being fixed down properly is due to a pipe or cable underneath.
Your point stands for mains cables, but with copper pipes, I doubt many heating installers would do anything other than notch at first floor level. Plastic is easy, but not everyone seems a fan.
To the OP, I use the wago boxes as they seem to be well made, but it seems the range is much better now.

You are not the clown. That will be the person who installed the cable in a notch in the top of a joist, that will.
I don't think we know how old the OP's house is but, to be fair, one does not have to go all that far back in time to the days when all (certainly most) electricians probably were, by the above definition, 'clowns'!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back