Junction box/3-pin socket query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just replaced an under-sink waste disposal unit. The old unit was wired directly to a round junction box, unfixed in the under-sink cupboard, controlled from a fused switch on the wall above the sink. The new unit has a moulded 3-pin plug.

Can I replace the junction box with a 3-pin socket, wall-mounted or otherwise? If so, I assume it should be waterproof, give the location under the sink. Or should I just get a local sparks to sort it (which, at London prices, will no doubt be considerable expense)?

Sponsored Links
A normal surface mounted 13A socket will be fine. No need for it to be waterproof.

Can I replace the junction box with a 3-pin socket, wall-mounted or otherwise?
Yes.

If so, I assume it should be waterproof, give the location under the sink.
It doesn't have to be waterproof - just an ordinary one will do.
Position it sensibly.

Or should I just get a local sparks to sort it (which, at London prices, will no doubt be considerable expense)?
Up to you.

Sponsored Links
Sure, if money is no object and you're installing the system from scratch.

But this is already insitu.

I don't think they're "money-no-object" level of cost?

And you can get standalone retro-fit ones, it's not essential to have a disposal unit with built-in air activation.

Thanks for the advice, all. Will fit a new socket, but think we'll live without the air switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back