Nice windows - shame about the handles!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had the whole house double-glazed about 12 years ago by a well-known company. Some of the window handles were feeling loose and one stopped working completely, so I went to B&Q and got some Yale replacements. On three of the windows, the square hole into which the spindle fits is completely knackered (almost circular or actually disintegrating). Surely this doesn't mean some entirely new window frames just for the sake of a simple handle fixture. Is there any way for a DIY approach to this? I don't feel able to dismantle the whole window frame - can't see how to anyway.

Sponsored Links
you want new espagnolette (espag) gearboxes. so identify the manufacturer (should be engraved) and model (harder) and you will hopefuly be able to replace just the gearbox.
otherwise you will need to replace the entire locking mechanism with another compatible model.

unscrew a handle as you have done already then unscrew the lock mechanism (you should find screws on the edge of the window, and next to any shootbolts), remove it and post a photo.

It has Roto (Robo?) and the numbers GR600 with a 6 underneath. The fitting is gold coloured and runs the length of the window frame (almost). I can only get to it by opening the central window and viewing through one of the fixed ones on the left. It'll be a ladder job if I need to unscrew it = the law of S**, the affected ones are all upstairs! Thanks for your help, by the way.

Sponsored Links
i don't think GR600 is a current model, but that might not be the model no.

best if you can get one out to show at a trade counter then you know you're getting the right replacement. and measure the length of the others. are there shootbolts?

try this lot - distributors for roto
DGS
Unit 3, St. Peters Road
MAIDENHEAD
SL6 7QU

t: 01628 784971

E-mail: [email protected]

Open 0830 Close 1700

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back