NICEIC- Ad in YP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just eyeballed my latest YP. Looked in the sparks section OOI, and the NIC have a nice little box ad promoting Part P-registered sparks...

I quote:

"By law, electrical work carried out in households in England and Wales must comply with Part P of the building regulations. Always use an electrician registered with a government-authorised body - use an NICEIC Domestic Installer."

They're getting very good at being economical with the truth......

Sponsored Links
As you posted in General Chat I have to tell you I don't have a clue what you're on about.

Fair point.

MOD..

Could you move this to Electrics UK?

Thanks.

MOD

no probs ;) we have our uses :LOL:

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly are the other options?

Sponsored Links
It's the wording I object to: the implication that all electrical work must be carried out by an electrician who is Part P compliant.

olly_k said:
If you download the regs you will see that some minor works can still be carried out by non registered folk. Including me who, though I trained as an electrician, am now banned from all but the simplest task. Mind the NICEIC is not alone as many local Building Officers woould have you believe the same. No bad thing maybe as things have moved on some since then :confused:

Sandy Beech said:
olly_k said:
If you download the regs you will see that some minor works can still be carried out by non registered folk. Including me who, though I trained as an electrician, am now banned from all but the simplest task. Mind the NICEIC is not alone as many local Building Officers woould have you believe the same. No bad thing maybe as things have moved on some since then :confused:

No I realise that what I meant to ask is whether there are any other appointed bodies or is NICEIC the only route to being Part P registared?

No theres N.A.P.I.T & Elecsa & Lowe group do a part p scheme so I've been told.

Let us here at least be correct about this, and not propate the same hogwash.
Absolutely No one is banned from doing any sort of domestic electrical work, it is just that non-scheme members have to notify the local building control office 48 hours before they start work.
The local authority is not allowed to charge more than their normal building control fee for inspecting any building work of that value, and if they have to subcontract out the inspection because all they have is 1 CSE woodwork and no electrical qualifications between them, they cannot pass on that extra charge to you.
Many will try though, and require sternly reminding off their legal obligations before they back off.

Oddly the NIC don't mention any of that either.

securespark said:
They're getting very good at being economical with the truth......
Actually - it's a very craftily worded advert. And it is important to realise that - it is an advert, not a public information message.

By law, electrical work carried out in households in England and Wales must comply with Part P of the building regulations.

100% correct.

Always use an electrician registered with a government-authorised body - use an NICEIC Domestic Installer.

Hoping that people will infer that they must do this to ensure the previous, but not actually saying it (as they have done elsewhere). As for not mentioning other schemes - this is an advertisement for NICEIC.

Turn over a few pages and you'll probably find an ad which says "Eat at McDonalds".

Not "Eat at McDonalds. Or Pizza Hut. Or Burger King."

Yes, Ban, that's my point. It is craftily worded and it is factually correct, but it gives the impression to JP that all work must be carried out by a PP-certified spark.

Or at least, it does not explain that there is another way - of course not, they want people to use their sparks - I'm just miffed that they are being there usual selves - sneaky beggers!

NIC claim to be an organisation looking out for end-users of electricity if you like, but only up to a point, Lord Copper.

If they really had the interests of JP at heart - they would explain the full story.

And I thought that NICE were a charitable organisation looking after the interests of people with regard to safety. Maybe I have a lot in common with them.

securespark said:
Yes, Ban, that's my point. It is craftily worded and it is factually correct, but it gives the impression to JP that all work must be carried out by a PP-certified spark.
And I'll bet the ads for McDonalds give the impression that it's OK to eat their food.

NIC claim to be an organisation looking out for end-users of electricity if you like, but only up to a point, Lord Copper.

If they really had the interests of JP at heart - they would explain the full story.
I'm sure they would argue that they are taking the interests of JP to heart by advising him to use a NICEIC spark.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back