NICEIC DI assessment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got my assessment date through for my NICEIC DI assessment, can anyone give me any clues as to what to expect ?

I'm guessing on retesting at least part of the installation (my major job is a CU change), checking my knowledge of testing and understanding the results seen..........

I've got all my exam certs, insurance, EIC's, MWC's and LABC docs, etc etc etc together. A copy of Part P regs, EAW regs, 16&17th regs books etc etc

Heres a piccy of my completed board change done Nov last year (so 16th ed) the main thing I'm not really happy with is the amount of copper on the main neutral connections to the bar but the terminals are soooo tight (factory tightened)I didn't want to damage them trying to undo them to redo the terminations

Any tips/hints gratefully recieved !

Sponsored Links
Looks reasonable, its always dificult to do your best showcase wiring on CU changes.

As regards the exposed wire on the factory installed neutral connections, if the assessor mentions it, advise him to take it up with Wylex, and most of the other CU manufacturers, for that matter.

The neutral bar is not insulated anyway, so I cant personally see how much it matters, just as long as your own terminations are all in order.

Make sure top plain of cu meets IP4x (been checked on two assessments for that), but cu looks tidy & dont worry about the tails.

1, Ensure safe isolation.
2, Be methodical with the testing.
3, Chat to the assessor while working.
4, ask questions of the assessor.
5, If you dont know an answer look in the regs or osg, dont just blagg it.
6, Have calbration certs for meter(s)

the terminals are soooo tight (factory tightened)I didn't want to damage them trying to undo them to redo the terminations
You really shouldn't be able to. You might need to check that you've got the right type of screwdriver - :?: Modulo :?:

Ask the maker if there's a recommended torque setting, and if there is, check that their factory setting is OK. If not they have a quality control issue to address.

Sponsored Links
Electrium (crabtree, volex, wylex) almost put a sticker on their CU's reminding you to check the tightness of factory connections.

Personally, I check when I energise and check every one before putting the cover on for the last time.

You'll not regret getting a modulo screwdriver, this approach will also score points with your assesor.

NICEIC are particularly hot on supply characteristics. Make sure you know the difference between PSCC and PEFC and are able to test for both. Plus the difference between TNS and TNC-S etc. If your assessor sees that you understand why you have made any mistakes (if you did) then you're more likely to get away with it.

Good luck!

My assessor wanted to make sure that I knew what the RCD auto test did on my Megger. He said that some guys just recorded the numbers and didn't know what they were actually testing :oops:

Next time, impress the hell out of him by showing just how much you understand by testing RCDs with resistors and an oscilloscope...

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back