NICEIC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i got bored so decided to take a look at what 'advice' they were givin.

multi-way adapters should not be used.

so, Mr. Niceic bloke, if there not to be used, why make them

and if they cannot be used, then thats me ****ed. almost everything in my room is fed from adapters. 2X6 way, 1X8 way, 2X4 way... and almost every socket is in use....

Sponsored Links
don't forget that 6-way adaptor you have pluged into the 4-way which is pluged into the 3-way 'block' for that moutain of computer gear and a total draw of about 2A :LOL:
I guess the NICEIC are concerned the misses is going to come along and plug in the kettle and toaster vacuum and whatever else at the same time

On a slightly more serious not I guess loose connections along with irrisponsible use are about the only thing that causes problems with these things but NIC really needs to get a grip and look how many appliances to fixed sockets there are in housholds these days!

olly_k said:
don't forget that 6-way adaptor you have pluged into the 4-way which is pluged into the 3-way 'block' for that moutain of computer gear and a total draw of about 2A :LOL:
I guess the NICEIC are concerned the misses is going to come along and plug in the kettle and toaster vacuum and whatever else at the same time

On a slightly more serious not I guess loose connections along with irrisponsible use are about the only thing that causes problems with these things but NIC really needs to get a grip and look how many appliances to fixed sockets there are in housholds these days!

actually... all are fed from a double socket

so. 1 goes to a 6 way. TV/sky and UPS are plugged into that. UPS output goes to a 6 way behind computer. nothin from there. from there, a 3 way apadpter brings power to desk level. 8 way is plugged into that. aswell as some other comp stuff (2nd monitor, speakers, pda charger). 4 way is plugged into 8 way. soldering iron, fan, 12VDC bench supply. and finally, a 4 way is plugged into that for my phone charger and fridge. very safe. doesnt get overloaded or anything, and hoover never gets plugged into any of them

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
and all complys with part pee

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

yup

and since anything which is plugged in is exempt from part P, what happens if you put a 125A BS4343 connector between meter and CU?

and where does it say anythign plugged in is exempt?

plugwash said:
and where does it say anythign plugged in is exempt?

i though stuff not plugged in was exempt? i.e you wire your garden stuff to a FCU, it comes under part P. put it thru a plug and its exempt?

Absolutely. Part P relates to FIXED wiring. things that are not permanently connected, i.e. can be unplugged, are covered only by product legislation, which is much laxer, and anyone can home-make an extension lead.
There are far more deaths from appliances and extension cables than from fixed wiring, and as this legislation will serve to encourage diy temporary as an alternative to DIY fixed, expect it to raise the overall accident rate if it is actually obeyed.
Oddly the ODPM ignored this well known effect in the regulatory impact assessment, and assumed we'd all cough up an extra 100 quid for a socket to plug the lawnmower in rather than lob a 10 quid jo-jo reel out the window.

mapj1 said:
Oddly the ODPM ignored this well known effect in the regulatory impact assessment, and assumed we'd all cough up an extra 100 quid for a socket to plug the lawnmower in rather than lob a 10 quid jo-jo reel out the window.

even if both options were £100, theyd rather you got them to check it, coz they get more of the money

mapj1 said:
Absolutely. Part P relates to FIXED wiring. things that are not permanently connected, i.e. can be unplugged, are covered only by product legislation, which is much laxer, and anyone can home-make an extension lead.
There are far more deaths from appliances and extension cables than from fixed wiring, and as this legislation will serve to encourage diy temporary as an alternative to DIY fixed, expect it to raise the overall accident rate if it is actually obeyed.

Which begs the question - how the hell would the government justify part-p in it's review if this very safety measure fails to increase safety? Now the next step I think could be worrying....

olly_k said:
mapj1 said:

Which begs the question - how the hell would the government justify part-p in it's review if this very safety measure fails to increase safety? Now the next step I think could be worrying....

i cant add another socket in my kitchen. oh well, ill get a 4 way adapter, make the flex longer using bell wire amd plug it in, trailing along the bench and over the cooker where itll probably get damaged. i hope the RCD works.

actually,that wont work, since i cant install an RCD.

or

i need more light in my kitchen. ill just hang a hand lamp from the ceiling, clip the cable accross the ceiling and have it running around the bench, in the way of everything, plugged into a overloaded socket

and this is safer?

Exactly - my argument, the argument vindicated by the facts from the accident data from other countries, is that when you 'make things safer' by restricting DIY wiring, the effect in the bigger picture is more than offset by a rise in accidents involving all the extension lead and adapter workarounds - very recently Lidl were selling an extension lead for terminated with a tent peg on a doublesocket, as the cheap way to get power to your garden. It seems to have dropped off the "this weeks special offer" list, but I'm sure there is more dodgy tat from the factories where that came from.
The ODPM were lobbied hard by the big contracting organisations to put these rules in place, and can't now admit they were duped. Really its all about closed shop working practices, not safety.
[/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back