Night light and security light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is what I did in my small landing. There is no conventional socket so I have wired one into the lighting circuit next to the landing light in the ceiling (this is the point I expect you are all spitting out your cocoa).

No, I have just has my coco :)

The last time this was discussed, it was agreed that it was fine to have a 13amp socket for a special purpose, connected to a lighting circuit - especially so if it was marked up with it's current limit or special purpose. I myself have such a socket, marked 'phone only' which is fed from a 6amp MCB feeding the stair lift charger. It charges the phone on the landing window shelf. There is another socket on the 32amp ring on the landing and a third one on the ring at the bottom of the stairs for vacuum cleaners etc.

Sponsored Links
It is bad practice to have a 13 a socket on the lighting circuit. Others disagree but it is a fact.

Sponsored Links
It is bad practice to have a 13 a socket on the lighting circuit. Others disagree but it is a fact.
We all knew that this fool would be along with this untruth.
The wiring regulations specifically list a 13A socket as one of the devices that is permitted to be connected to a lighting circuit.
As @JohnD says, it is not a fact. @winston1 keeps on with this. It is permitted, it is not wrong. I have councilled him to preface his interjections with “in my opinion”. At least then the unwary could be warned that it is not a regulation. but no such luck.

He has become the forum bore, bordering on being an internet troll.

Moderator, please help.

I’ve got a bunch of plinth lights and cabinet lights that came with a plug running off my lighting circuit. The light switch on the wall activates the socket under the kitchen cupboards (behind the plinth) and this then switches on all the led’s.
I didn’t want individual plugs for the lights. It would have been impractical.

Attachments

• DC741B56-9FE7-4EAB-AC72-7A73DEEF93CE.jpeg
    DC741B56-9FE7-4EAB-AC72-7A73DEEF93CE.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 44
We all knew that this fool would be along with this untruth.
The wiring regulations specifically list a 13A socket as one of the devices that is permitted to be connected to a lighting circuit.
As @JohnD says, it is not a fact. @winston1 keeps on with this. It is permitted, it is not wrong. I have councilled him to preface his interjections with “in my opinion”. At least then the unwary could be warned that it is not a regulation. but no such luck.
The regs have been wrong before. It is clear they are wrong here. No doubt it will be corrected in a future edition.

There is a whole list of standard size fuses including 1A.
No. Only 3 and 13a are recognised standards and colour coded red and brown. All the others 1, 2, 5, 7, and 10 are non standard and coded black.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back