Night Storage Heater problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A flat that I own is heated by an Economy 7 night-storage heater. There is no alternative option - no mains gas and no room for an oil or LPG tank.

The input/output controls on the heater have no effect - both seem to stay fully on. Running costs have escalated and the room becomes too hot.

Before paying up to £800 for a replacement, I am wondering whether an efficient standard-tariff setup might be more controllable and not appreciably dearer to run? I am thinking of a wall-mounted convector heater with electronic thermostat and 24-hour or 7-day timer.

What do others think of this idea? What would you do in my position? Or could the problem be down to just a faulty thermostat?

Many thanks,
Alec.

Sponsored Links
Or could the problem be down to just a faulty thermostat?

If you mean it is using power 24 hours a day, it's the timer.

has somebody altered the wiring since it last worked corrrectly?

post some photos of the connections and around the meter.

Why have you got it turned "on" in the summer?

Sounds like a new thermostat assembly is needed, find out the model and year if possible, usually on label at the bottom, spares are available for most common brands

Agree with Xtal ball, you will want to repair the heater as all new storage heaters now require 2 mains supplies, an economy7 supply and a 24hour supply, to meet the new lot 20 EU rules. This allows more control and heating at all times but means you are also partly heating your house with the much more expensive day rate electric. We have changed several full houses of heaters with new lot 20 ones, 2 I've been back to have seen a noticeable increase in their electric bills and have had to carefully set the controls to try to get the heating to only operates during the night.

Sponsored Links
Agree with Xtal ball, you will want to repair the heater as all new storage heaters now require 2 mains supplies, an economy7 supply and a 24hour supply, to meet the new lot 20 EU rules. This allows more control and heating at all times but means you are also partly heating your house with the much more expensive day rate electric. We have changed several full houses of heaters with new lot 20 ones, 2 I've been back to have seen a noticeable increase in their electric bills and have had to carefully set the controls to try to get the heating to only operates during the night.

Could you not disconnect the 24 hour supply, just leaving the economy 7 one?

No because the 24 hour supply powers the controls, electronic thermostats and heater relays.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back