Night Store Heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother has night store heaters that are powered with cheaper electricity during the night. However by the evening time they have cooled down too much to be effective. What would be ideal would be to have an afternoon boost for a couple of hours. I am not interested in the extra cost of using electric during the day, but would like to know if it is possible to fit some sort of timer controlled switch so as they could have an afternoon boost.

It is not a job I intend doing myself but I would like to be wise to the possibilities before I bring in an electrician.

Sponsored Links
It is possible.

There are plans from the electricity supplier which do just that - Economy 10.

Have a word with the supplier.

I have contacted her supplier this morning, EON, seemed particularly unhelpful and said to qualify for economy 10 she would need something like a jaccussi. It seemed to be a little lost on them that she is a very elderly lady who is feeling the cold in the winter. They then realised I was not the account holder and refused to speak any more to me until I gain the correct authority.

Anyway, this is the meter fitted, just in case anyone has any other suggestions into how I could get an afternoon boost to the night store heaters.

Attachments

• meter.JPG
    meter.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 111
I have contacted her supplier this morning, EON, seemed particularly unhelpful and said to qualify for economy 10 she would need something like a jaccussi.
That's just nonsense - tell them she is getting a jacuzzi or would they require an affidavit?

Change suppliers.

Sponsored Links
[winstonmode]
You mean a hot tub. Jacuzzi is the brand name/registered trademark of one of the manufacturers of them.
[/off]

However by the evening time they have cooled down too much to be effective.
That suggests they are either undersized, one or more of the elements has failed, or the controls are not being set properly.

If undersized for the room(s) then not much you can do other than buy larger ones.
Failed elements can be replaced easily.
For maximum heat, the Input control should be set to maximum, but the Output control to minimum.
If the output control is left at maximum, far too much heat will be emitted in the early part of the day, leaving nothing by mid afternoon.

Economy 10 does not switch the heaters on and off in some occasions.
If she is wanting an easy life then get a small fan heater with a thermostat on it to control the temperature

If she isn't skint then I may suggest an dual heater - such as Dimplex Duo-Heat, these have bricks as well as a convector heater built in, but more importantly they are fully automatic- the control is just like a volume control and you adjust the temperature up and down as you need it.

These 'learn' how quickly they discharge and automatically add more charge .

I have installed a few now and find them ideal- lots of happy customer feedback

For an afternoon boost you will need them wired up to the other meter side... You should have 2 meters. Do you? On peak, off peak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back