Night storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to get used to my NSH, 2 questions someone maybe able to answer.

If the heaters heat up at night and I do not use the boost button and there is still some heat within the brick/blocks, I assume the next night it will use less electricity to keep the bricks/blocks at a certain temperature, is that correct?

I have a digital electricity meter outside the property.
There are controls to adjust the water heating times but no controls to adjust the timing the heaters heat up. So when the clocks go back and forward do the heaters automatically adjust and heat up during the cheaper off peak tariff?

Sponsored Links
Question one:

Yes, if the bricks are already warm or hot, it will take less electricity to charge the heater.

Question two:
It depends how your heaters are controlled. If it's by a traditional clock then there will be no adjustment when the clocks change.
If you're controlled by a radio teleswitch (the power company switch this on and off via a signal sent over long wave radio) then the times will change.

Thank-you for answering my questions.

Regarding question 2.
I do not know if the heaters are controlled by a traditional clock or a radio teleswitch.

I noticed the power lights on the sockets to the heaters used to go off at 7a.m now they go off at 8a.m.

I am in Lincolnshire and E.on were the suppliers when I moved here but I changed to EDF, hopefully the change over will be completed soon.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't really matter whether your heaters are on 1am-8am or Midnight-7am, you shouldn't get billed for an hour of peak usage because the clock in the meter is wrong (it doesn't know the times changed!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back