Nightmare job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a 2 gang 2 way switch on 1 side of wall and 1 gang switch on other side of wall that has since come down. 7 cables in total. Was thinking of getting a 3 gang 2 way switch. Hell of a lot of cable so going for a 3 way 2 game double plate and deep back box. The 2 gang switch (1 switch for main kitchen light and 1 switch for kitchen spots) had a cable which went through wall into the 1 gang switch. Am I right in thinking its acting as a circuit supply to the single switch.. heres pics I have IMG-20210125-WA0001.jpgIMG-20210125-WA0003.jpg

Sponsored Links
Start by working out many circuits you have,

By counting A, how many Browns are physically connected to each other, then B, do the same with the blues.
Then C, count the total grey cables
Finally D, count how many Browns or Blues actually left on there own

Was the 2 way switch used as 2 way ie 3 terminals in use

Looks to me the single switch with 4 cables total is 2 way and 2 gang switch with 5 cables total is a single way and either 2 way or single way with 2 cable going off to 2 lights. Possible 3rd option is loop in and 2 loop outs. Let's have a picture of the back of the 2G switch to see which terminals are in use etc.

Which ever options you have there the link does look like the permanent supply looped around the whole of the lighting circuit.

Sponsored Links
Looking again I believe I see the 2 gang is 2 one way switches and all of the blues are connected together. I suggest you mark/number each of the 8 cable sheaths [7 plus the link] and the switches then record on a list where each brown, black and grey wire go:

IE:

cable switch
1 1 /com
2 2 /L2

Etc.

All of these should fit ok in a 35mm single size back box and 3gang switch.

Just a update....sorted the job.
1 mains going to 1 switch and looped live to other 2.
Single switch was a 2 way switch for living room light. Double switch was a 1 way for kitchen spots and kitchen main light. Mains cable wired to L1 in middle switch completed the circuit for rest of lighting circuit downstairs. Nightmare was made worse by some1 marking cable 1 and 7 wrong way round. Everytime I wired kitchen main light into 1 of the 1 way switches it turned the back outdoor light on. Until I realised. All earths together sleeved and all neutrals together. Managed to get it all in a 3 way switch with a normal back box. Some wires that.

Just a update....sorted the job.
1 mains going to 1 switch and looped live to other 2.
Single switch was a 2 way switch for living room light. Double switch was a 1 way for kitchen spots and kitchen main light. Mains cable wired to L1 in middle switch completed the circuit for rest of lighting circuit downstairs. Nightmare was made worse by some1 marking cable 1 and 7 wrong way round. Everytime I wired kitchen main light into 1 of the 1 way switches it turned the back outdoor light on. Until I realised. All earths together sleeved and all neutrals together. Managed to get it all in a 3 way switch with a normal back box. Some wires that.

I know the problem. Had a 3 gang 2x2 2 way switch. One of the switches became stiff, so I went to replace it. As soon as the faceplate screws were free the whole switch sprang off the wall like a Jack in a box. Took a while to get it all back together.

7 cables...21 wires. All into a 3 gang switch. Most I've ever had to do.

It’s a skill (y)

No doubt, when my faceplate flew off (all the cables came out of the terminals - not a good sign) I'm fairly sure I muttered something like "Oh gosh, dreary me.... what a conundrum" or something like that.

I've been called to a very similar job as OP with a removed wall, except the builder had kindly removed all traces of the switches and had run all 12 cables into a single gang back box, fortunately he had the sense to re-use a 47mm box rather than the selection of removed shallow versions.

One of my regular sayings is "Oh dear, what a pity, ah well never mind." So I expect I used that one.:cool:

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back