Nightmare paper.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This paper I have is giving me more grey hair than I need. The trouble with it is no matter how I cut it the paper will still pull and rip. I am no way a pro decorator (Too slow) but for years have been able to do a damn good job making it look professional for family and friends as a side thing.

Anyhow I did the feature wall which looks perfect (was given a bit of advice on here about saving paper and it worked) I come to do the rest today looked at the manufacturer instructions and thought piece of cake I will have this done today. I was wrong!

The paper itself looks good and I know it was not cheap as I was their as the person bought it. The paper pastes good, looks fine while waiting for it to absorb, feels good when picking back up also movement on the wall is great. Everything but the god damn cutting.

A brand new Stanley blade will almost immediately start pulling at it and ripping so I drove to B and Q thinking it must be bad blades bought two different brands and both exactly the same.

What could be causing this?

Paper bad? Paste mix bad as in too much water? It does say on the label they suggest to use pre mixed paste but why would I pay over triple for less when I can mix my own?

Cheers for any advise.

Sponsored Links
Some papers don't like being cut with blades. As mentioned a decent pair of scissors should help. Cut slowly and precisely and it should be ok.
I do however use a lot of the snap off blade type knives as these do work better.

Stanley blades can be a bit too thick, believe it or not. If you do prefer a blade, as stated the snap-off types are thinner and better for this, though only use each little piece for a few cuts.

Sponsored Links
The smaller 6mm blades are better for cutting paper, always offer up a straight edge, with the straight edge against the paper to protect it. Scissors Robbie? tut tut mate!

The straight edge tip is spot on - if you are not using one already, you should try it. Press the edge firmly against the paper and cut slowly along it with the blade - I usually used a 10" taping knife as my straight edge but you can use a smaller scraper, or larger wallpaper edging tool - whatever you have that is clean and straight.

Just pulling your leg mate, we use shears eh?! I can remember being ignored by my college tutor when i asked him where the scissors were!

Different areas call them different things I suppose, Shears? im not cutting the hedge lol :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back