No apparent soil stack vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of moving shortly into a 1950's house that has a downstairs toilet at the front. The house is not nearby so I can't go and look at it easily, but I have photos.

From when I looked around the house, and from the photos, there appears to be no soil stack venting at all - the only pipework I can see is drainpipes and sink etc pipes down an outside drain.

It is a semi-detached house, but it is not sharing a stack with next door either.

How is it being vented? I am also interested in locating it (or something) because I would want to add another toilet upstairs, if I move there.

Sponsored Links
Dunton said:
I am thinking of moving shortly into a 1950's house that has a downstairs toilet at the front.
Mine too (although it's more of a 30's house).

How is it being vented?
Mine doesn't have a vent - yours probably doesn't either. The likelihood is that it's being vented via a neighbouring stack. Somewhere...

Is it ok to have a 1 1/2" pipe to vent it? I'm putting in a shower cubical and now don't have room for 4" one???

catfish5 said:
Is it ok to have a 1 1/2" pipe to vent it? I'm putting in a shower cubical and now don't have room for 4" one???
Unlikely, but you've given no detail of what you're planning to do.

The least I've ever used was 50mm, and was passed by the BCO, but only partly because there was a desperate problem with anything larger.

If all you're doing is adding a shower, then why not connect up using a HepVO 'trap' and change nothing else?

Sponsored Links
Went to rod a blocked front wc recently ( a friend in need is a ....!) to find there was no "manhole" of any sort for it, let alone a vent. 60's I think.

Did you check next-door? My neighbour has no manhole, but his [only] WC drains into a manhole on my side of the fence, and from thence into the main sewer run behind all the houses.

Thanks Softus. There was not a shared vent pipe in either of the two semi-detached houses, but I suppose it could be down the road somehwere. As long as it vents somewhere rather than back up the toilet I suppose it's ok.

The pan itself is not against an outside wall - but central to the house I guess. I was hoping to know where the soil pipe was so I could pre-plan where to put in an upstairs toilet. Guess I'll have to wait until I move in.
[/quote]

:D Well we're in.

Toilet goes straight down pipe in concrete floor and then outside into the sewer. There is a manhole (seems to be two) near the side of the house.

If I wanted an upstairs toilet (using a mascinator - or not), where would this be sluiced to now? can't get to anything inside the house. Would it be a question of fitting a stack outside plumbed into the sewer and sluicing into the stack?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back