NO CENTRAL HEATING OR HOT WATER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello have a problem with Glow Worm back boiler, I think the pilot light has gone out and I can not relight it have tried and tried but no sucess. There is a gas fire in front of it and this works fine as do all my other gas appliances in the house.

Recently I had a new hob fitted and had to turn the gas of the heating has not worked since then. I have followed the instruction to the letter to light the pilot light it says turn of the electric to the boiler turn the termostat to of. then turn a knob to pilot depress the pilot button then press the ignition and hold for ten seconds then move to on. The pilot light will not go on when I press the ignition, though I can here that the gas is coming through.

So two questions, if the pilot light is of would the gas fire work? and help?![/img]

Sponsored Links
Your heating & hot water has not worked since your has hob was fitted? it is the responsibility of the fitter to ensure that all gas appliances are safe to use whenever any gas work is done. I cannot see how he or she did this if the boiler was not working.

From your description, it sounds like the piezo ignition is duff. As you do not state what BBU you have, it is impossible to tell you if you can safely light it manually.

If I was you, I would get the person who installed the hob back and get them to light it.

Thanks for your reply, unfortunatly it was my old man who fitted the hob and he has tried to help with the pilot but is as baffled as me

Sponsored Links
greenharte said:
Thanks for your reply, unfortunatly it was my old man who fitted the hob and he has tried to help with the pilot but is as baffled as me

Sorry to say this, but for the sake of 60 or 70 quid you would now have a safe installation with all appliances working. As it stands, from what you say, you have no heat or hot water and have invalidated your building insurance and have absolutely no idea if your hob or any other applicance is safe to use.

If you explain all of this to a corgi engineer I would guess that you are going to have to pay about double what you saved to get it sorted out.

Normally I am not one of those "throw all unregistered installers in prison" sorts, but what on earth were you thinking of to allow this to happen?

P.S. Any of the corgi guys here could fix the problem in minutes, but I very much doubt if they will tell you how as it would further endanger your life. Perhaps your old man could post on here to explain what he did?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back