Stuck gas valve knob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to relight a back boiler Glow Worm Majorca 346 that's not been used for a couple of years. The knob on the gas valve - that has to be turned from "ON" to "PILOT" then pressed to relight it - appears to be stuck at the "ON" position. Any suggestions please? Brute force?

Sponsored Links
If it's not been used for a couple of years I'd very strongly advise that you get it fully serviced and safety checked by a gas engineer familiar with back boilers before you use it. Not doing so could result in a large amount of carbon monoxide entering your home, resulting in you pushing up daisies fairly quickly

Sponsored Links
If it's not been used for a couple of years I'd very strongly advise that you get it fully serviced and safety checked by a gas engineer familiar with back boilers before you use it. Not doing so could result in a large amount of carbon monoxide entering your home, resulting in you pushing up daisies fairly quickly

I understand the risks of neglecting boiler servicing, but are they actually greater when a boiler's been unused?

On back boilers yes because the chimney is constantly pulling air and dust through the appliance filter.

Because they are not room sealed, any change in combustion charactistics are potentially dangerous.

Blocked chimneys being particularly dangerous.

true, how do you know a pigeon may have tripped in and blocked it, and may be Santa might have got stuck in as well if you didn't see him come thrue to drop your xmas prezzies! You never know whats inside.;)

Last edited:
In my opinion there are so many dangerous possibilities they should need a gas check by law each year.

That happens for rented properties but not for owner occupiers!

A friend of mine has an old gas Ascot water heater in his bathroom and will lie in his bath telling me he is watching the blue flame!

Tony

In my opinion there are so many dangerous possibilities they should need a gas check by law each year.

That happens for rented properties but not for owner occupiers!

A friend of mine has an old gas Ascot water heater in his bathroom and will lie in his bath telling me he is watching the blue flame!

Tony
Watching his blue flame!....Phew, thought you was gonna say something else then!

Just the blue flame in his open flued Ascot water heater which must be at least 40 years old.

I expect it is one of the old round ones!

The round one with the swivelling spout? Think we had one of those up to 1965 when we moved .

I understand the risks of neglecting boiler servicing, but are they actually greater when a boiler's been unused?
Hmm now let's see...
The flue could be blocked with sticks/cobwebs/dead birds
The flue could have come apart
The burner and air filter will almost certainly be full of dust/cobwebs/spiders/flies
The burner could be damaged
The gas valve could be sticky
The diaphragms inside the gas valve could be perished
The thermostat might not work properly

Is that enough to be going on with?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back