No central heating or hot water!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon everyone,

In a bit of a pickle at the moment and it's a bit of a long winded explanation so please bear with me.

Recently purchased a new home and everything was working hunky dory for about a week. I decided to do some decorating and installing plug sockets so needed to work out which fuse was which in the fuse box to turn the power off. While doing so we obviously tripped the fuse for the power to the programmer/boiler/pump etc and since then I have been unable to get the system back working.

I have done a bit of digging on youtube and so on and have checked a few things myself which I shall try to explain below.

Firstly, the spur fuse is fine and power is getting to the programmer. I can switch the programmer to turn the heating and hot water to the constant position but nothing happens and only the led light is on for the heating. The pilot light is on the boiler but it isn't firing up (please excuse me if my terminology is inaccurate). I had my friend round who's an electrician and there are 3 cables coming out of the programmer, 2 are live, 1 has no voltage passing through it. Upstairs there is a pump which is doing nothing, it hasn't ceased as i have had the front off and can freely turn it. There is a motorised 3 port actuator that can be moved manually with resistance but once pushed to the right cannot be moved back until the power has been switched off and back on. The room thermostat clicks on but no led lights up.

I'm not sure where to go from here other than getting someone in so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Boiler?, if turned off mid demand it's probably overheated and needs resetting.

I've not noticed a reset button but looking at the manual there should be one to the right of the boiler, I will have a look tonight and let you know the outcome.

Sponsored Links
Tripped overheat would not stop the pump from working.
Check for s/l at the boiler and m/v orange wire.

Hi, sorry for late reply. Took a while to get round to this. There is only a live to the programmer and the mid position actuator, not to the boiler itself. We can't trace any live out of the actuator only the orange wire going in is live.

What make of 3 port valve is it. Normally the orange wire would be the switched Live feed to fire up the boiler/pump for central heating. Is there a wiring centre and can you post some pictures of it and the system?

If you can move the valve manually to CH and it sticks there, that suggests there is no call for HW (the valve is receiving a HW off signal on the valves grey wire) and there is no call for CH (no signal on the valves white wire) In this condition there will be no call for pump/boiler on the valves orange wire. I'm not sure where you got power going into the orange wire?

You need to check the correct signals are getting out of the programmer, from your description it appears faulty with the hot water indicator not illuminating when set to constant. I would look there before anywhere else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back