No CH after Magnaclean service.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Serviced the Magnaclean the other night. Isolated, removed, cleaned, reopened isolating valves. Now no CH. I have HW. Have serviced it before with no problems so felt confident again this time.

Its an open vented system with two tanks in loft. Everything appears to be working fine, boiler is relatively new and operating, actuator works I can see it move when requested, controller/thermostat works (Hive). Pump sounds noisier then usual and perhaps hotter then usual. All radiators are stone cold. Some rads upstairs are not even producing a drip of water from the bleed valve. No air or water drip from either Magnaclean bleed valve or pump bleed screw.

What have I done!? I'm thinking I've introduced air, but I tried turning all rads except one off to force it to that one but no joy. I'm also not sure water is circulating through the Magnaclean, despite me reopening the valves.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated before I call a plumber!

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Remove actuator from 3 way valve. Manipulate spindle to open flow to CH.
Have HW on and make sure cylinder stat is not satisfied by drawing off some HW or turning stat up temporarily.
See if this gets the CH pipework and rads to warm up.
If yes change power head.
If not check pump is spinning well.

Unable to offer advice for the non working of the boiler and I might be talking complete b ollocks but my Fernox magnetic filter is fitted next to the boiler on the inlet side. That one looks like it’s fitted on the outlet. How is that going to prevent crap from entering the boiler?

Yep. Filter is on the flow to the CH so, suggest you remove it from the valves and check no blockages within it... While it's removed, crack open the inlet valve and see if you get water out (into a receptacle obviously).

Sponsored Links
An easy check:

Bleed the highest radiator in the house. Does water squirt out forcefully and without dying away?

Edit

Also verify that neither of the isolating valves, or its lever, has failed. You can do that by opening one at a time, and the bleed screw in the cap.

Last edited:
Yep. Filter is on the flow to the CH so, suggest you remove it from the valves and check no blockages within it... While it's removed, crack open the inlet valve and see if you get water out (into a receptacle obviously).

Yeah it has to be something to do with this as it was all working perfectly fine prior to servicing the Magnaclean. I did remove the lid and could see the water level in the can was lower then the pipe at the top of it. I carefully opened that valve but no water came out (which could be normal though, as I assume the pipe further down is the inlet).

An easy check:

Bleed the highest radiator in the house. Does water squirt out forcefully and without dying away?

Also verify that neither of the isolating valves, or its lever, has failed. You can do that by opening one at a time, and the bleed screw in the cap.

Four rads upstairs. Two the water trickles out. Two I get nothing. No air. No water.

Yeah it has to be something to do with this as it was all working perfectly fine prior to servicing the Magnaclean. I did remove the lid and could see the water level in the can was lower then the pipe at the top of it. I carefully opened that valve but no water came out (which could be normal though, as I assume the pipe further down is the inlet).

Four rads upstairs. Two the water trickles out. Two I get nothing. No air. No water.

I think you have a blockage in the feed and expansion pipe from the small tank in the loft. This has led to insufficient water in the system. Most likely at the tee where the 15mm pipe joins onto your large circulating pipe. Have you got a magnet?

I think you have a blockage in the feed and expansion pipe from the small tank in the loft. This has led to insufficient water in the system. Most likely at the tee where the 15mm pipe joins onto your large circulating pipe. Have you got a magnet?

Ok I think I know where you mean. I do have a magnet. Thanks.

So, start by cleaning out the small tank, empty as much as poss and then wipe clean. Leave empty and as said either cut out the tee if the magnet sticks or follow ChrisR set of instructions ( FAQ 12 ) I've used ChrisR instructions as my Tee is in a very bad place and it worked. By the way, did you bleed the pump?

Last edited:
So, start by cleaning out the small tank, empty as much as poss and then wipe clean. Leave empty and as said either cut out the tee if the magnet sticks or follow ChrisR set of instructions ( FAQ 12 ) I've used ChrisR instructions as my Tee is in a very bad place and it worked. By the way, did you bleed the pump?

I bled the pump but no air or water came out. The whole centre screw removed and no air or water!

run the magnet along the copper F&E pipe, especially where I said. Does it cling?

Ok so only in one small section did the magnet stick. Highlighted in red circle. I'm guessing that means my blockage is there?

I checked the small tank in the loft and the water was terrible, lot of black sludge. Emptied it as much as I could and let it refill.

I've got an engineer booked for next Wednesday.

yes, most likely.

You have a magnaclean so it is disappointing that you have black sludge. Prefereably bale it all out and sponge the tank clean. You don't want to add any more to the blockage you already have. There is no point in letting the tank fill up again if the blockage prevents it flowing to your system.

After replacing the blocked pipe, I think you need, at least, a chemical clean and to monitor the Magnaclean regularly. The engineer may well recomend a power flush. If the Magnaclean can be moved to a better position that will also help.

yes, most likely.

You have a magnaclean so it is disappointing that you have black sludge. Prefereably bale it all out and sponge the tank clean. You don't want to add any more to the blockage you already have. There is no point in letting the tank fill up again if the blockage prevents it flowing to your system.

After replacing the blocked pipe, I think you need, at least, a chemical clean and to monitor the Magnaclean regularly. The engineer may well recomend a power flush. If the Magnaclean can be moved to a better position that will also help.

Ok thanks for all your help. I'll let you know what they say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back