No cold water downstairs - possibly frozen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I am looking for some information regarding what may be a frozen pipe. I have a condensing boiler, which is working ok. I have no COLD water downstairs, but do have cold water upstairs. There are no signs of any leaks downstairs as far as I can see. I am concerned that if it is frozen pipe that there may be implications for the boiler. I have hot water downstairs, and as there is no tank, am assuming water into boiler is ok, as is supply to upstairs? Are there any safety issues, or possible damage etc. I am confused and any help would be very much appreciated as to what be happening.
Thank you. Anne

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have a combi boiler, provided the system pressure is ok (around 1 to 1.5 bar cold) then should be ok. If you have a frozen pipe, then any leak will not manifest itself until the pipe thaws. It does seem strange that you have hot water downstairs but no cold. Does the boiler fire up when you turn a hot tap on?

It sounds like you have a combi boiler, provided the system pressure is ok (around 1 to 1.5 bar cold) then should be ok. If you have a frozen pipe, then any leak will not manifest itself until the pipe thaws. It does seem strange that you have hot water downstairs but no cold. Does the boiler fire up when you turn a hot tap on?

Hi Hugh - Thanks for response - I think it is strange too. I have checked and yes, the boiler does fire up when hot tap turned on. The pressure is normally at 1.5 bar, but was a little higher before I ran the water, and has now settled at just over 1.5.
Doh, how silly of me, of course if pipe frozen, leak wouldn't be apparent until thawed - but I only looked inside where cold pipe leads to tap - but my kitchen is very cold!
Should I just keep an eye on the pressure, and should then be ok. Is it high or low pressure to be concerned about? It is not going to get any warmer here for many days I fear.
Than you Anne

Keep the boiler ticking over Anne and if every radiator is warm then there is no problem with the central heating.
Your cold water supply obviously tees off after the stopcock one for downstairs, one for up, and its between this tee and your downstairs taps where the freeze is.
Presumably you get hot water at all taps? No prob with the boiler, then.
Allow warm air to get to the areas where you suspect your frozen pipe to be, if you can, and keep the non running tap turned on, but the plug out!
John :)

Sponsored Links
It could be worth temporarily blocking off any airbricks that you think may be near underfloor pipes - if your house has them. Can prevent that icy blast!
John :)

Be aware that when this pipe froze the expanding ice may have split the pipe, therefore when it does thaw out you may have a heavy leak. If you apply heat to the area stay in attendance especialy if it is an electric heater. If you are going to wait for the thaw I would turn the water off at the stop tap whenever you are out, and during the night

Many thanks to all - and I will keep alert for the thaw and possible damage to pipe! As long as heating ok, I can cope without cold water in kitchen. 'Icy blast' perfectly describes what you have around the ankles in my kitchen, and I think it unlikely, if I could thaw this pipe, that I can prevent freezing again in this current very cold weather. I really appreciate the advice and help. Anne

I would strongly recommend you ascertain asap you can shut the water off to the house should the worst happen. If the pipe has frozen and burst you dont want the leak to start and then discover the stoptap wont work.....

If the suspected frozen pipe is accessible then worth trying a hairdryer to attempt to thaw it. Heat will travel along it to some degree, (assuming its a copper pipe!). Then wrap some old towels, rags, anything really to try and lag it. When circumstances allow it may be worth fitting some proper pipe insulation to prevent re-occurance. It does seem unusual to me that a pipe within the house has frozen, especially as you have heating on, but thats not to say it cant happen!

Thanks Hugh - I will take your advice and make sure water can be shut off.
It is now getting a bit late today and getting dark, so do not want to thaw the pipe now - just in case! Anne

could it be the mains in has frozen, and the cold water upstairs and water for boiler is from cold water tank in loft?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back