No Cold Water going from tank to Bathroom Taps...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I got home last night to find there is no water, or at least a really small trickle from my cold water taps (bath and sink) in the upstairs bathroom. I checked the Cold Water tank and it's full up. The Hot water is fine. The mains is also fine as the Kitchen tap works fine.
All valves between tank & taps are open.
It was working fine for months, and just seemed to happen out of the blue....does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing it or how I could check / remedy?
All help is greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Pete

Sponsored Links
why has it only been working fine for "months"? have you drained it in the past? if you have not touched any gate valves, ie - closed and opened them, then suspect crud from bottom of cistern is partially blocking cold
pipes to taps.

Hi Eeejit.
I say a few months as I only moved in a few months ago so can't say prior to that.
I haven't drained it in the past and have no idea if it was before i moved in.
I have opened and closed valves several times as I have had 2 new bathrooms and a new kitchen fitted since moving in....all taps, toilets etc replaced. As I say everything was working fine after fitting for weeks...
Does this suggest an air-lock? I have printed off the faq's solution (sponge) and will try that tonight...
Could it be something else perhaps?
P.s. All the taps are mixer taps.
Thanks
Pete

another suspect would be the gate valve that shuts off the cold supply
to bathroom. older gate valves can stay closed because the spindle has
broken, but this is not obvious as the wheel-head can still turn. does the wheel-head turn and turn in an anti clockwise direction?
otherwise, try forcing some mains water, with the offending taps open,
through the cold via the tank connector in the cistern.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back