No Damp Proof Membrane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope that somebody can offer some advice so that I can decide if it is a job I can tackle myself or if I need to get somebody in, what I should be asking.

I have a late 1940's semi-detached bungalow with a concrete suspended floor. In the last 2-3 years we have been getting damp issues in various places in the house. I have been looking into it and suddenly had a spark of inspiration that maybe the damp was just coming up through the floor.

So today I have had a chance to inspect and excavate the sub-floor and have found that there is no damp proof membrane or concrete solum or oversite. We live in Scotland, on a clay soil and there is evidence of effervescence on the surface of the sub-floor.

Therefore I would like to remedy this and wonder what the appropriate work should be? Should a DPM be installed on the subfloor, or could I attach it to the underside of the concrete, or some combination?

I also noticed that the concrete feels warm to the touch and so wondered about adding some insulation slabs and maybe this would also provide some moisture resistance.

Any questions, let me know and thank you.

Sponsored Links
I can't see how you can have damp coming through a suspended floor

Thanks Woody, if you have damp clay soil and nothing to stop the moisutre transfering upwards, I would have thought that could be contributing. Otherwise, why do more modern houses with suspended floors have damp proof membranes and concrete laid on top of them?

There are air vents but a modern house would have no more air vents than I have with out a dpm.

It is a recognised problem, I just need to now how best to fix it.

Sponsored Links
Suspended concrete floors do not have a DPM. Nor do they touch the ground below, otherwise they are not suspended and there is no way to ventilate the floor void

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back