No Earth Terminal in Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just bought several drywall boxes but on inspection, they don't have any Earth terminals in them.

Have i bought duds?
Do i need to use choc blocks to connect the earths?
Do i simply use the earth terminals on the switches?
Do i need to buy the Earth terminals separately and if so where from?

Sorry if these are simple questions but i'm a bit of a novice.

Cheers,
Leigh

Sponsored Links
What are you doing with the drywall boxes?

Are you aware of Part P (law regarding building work)?

Use choc block to connect the earths, or the earth terminal on the face accessory if one is present.

Hi,

I'm installing some new wall lights and a 3 way switch in a new studwall.

I'm aware of the Part P regs thanks.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
Leigh.

If they're drywall boxes then presumably they're plastic anyway? Mot much point in earthing a plastic box ;)

Sponsored Links
No ! but the continuity of of the earth conductors must be made, a suitable terminal for this would be better than a choc block!
Often wonder why they dont provide them on some dryliners??

You get an earth terminal in MK surface plastic boxes. I've noticed dry liners tend to have a space where an earth terminal could go, but I've never seen one actually fitted with a terminal.

Hi,

I was surprised there were no terminals, but the chrome switches i'm using have one so i'll use that unless theres any reason why i need anything else.

Cheers,
Leigh

Mine I just pushed up in to the dry wall box. As there is no where to terminate them. Plastic switches.

lookinn said:
Mine I just pushed up in to the dry wall box. As there is no where to terminate them. Plastic switches.

This is alright providing there is only one earth wire at the switch, any more and they must all be connected together.

For cases like that I bought a small pack of brass earth terminals years ago when I was doing rectifications, they have a screw on the back that will go into screwholes in back boxes or other enclosures (some old ones don't have terminals, or it has been damaged). You've reminded me I've still got a few rattling around, hardly ever need them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back