no earth to fluorescent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to change my bathroom light fitting.

Currently i have a flourescent in there but would just like a nice dome circle kind of light

Having taken the existing light out i am left with 2 cables coming from the ceiling. 1 sheathed with a black wire which was connected to the flourescent and a red wire which has been cut and not connected to anything. The other is sheathed with a red wire also connected to the flourescent.

From my experience i take it these are old wires. I have changed light fittings like for like but not sure how to go about doing this one as there does not seem to be an earth wire only in the internal wiring of the flourescent.

Is this a straght forward job. just old coloured wires or is there more to this. I have a plasterer in a few days so dont want to mess up new plaster. The light switch is outside the bathroom and is a standard switch.

Any advice muchly appreciated

Sponsored Links
jackpot said:
Having taken the existing light out i am left with 2 cables coming from the ceiling. 1 sheathed with a black wire which was connected to the flourescent and a red wire which has been cut and not connected to anything. The other is sheathed with a red wire also connected to the flourescent.
So you've got a live and a neutral. A bit odd that they are in two separate cables, but surely not a problem to connect up?

there does not seem to be an earth wire only in the internal wiring of the flourescent.
If there is no earth then you can only fit Class II (double insulated) accessories etc.

If there is no earth, and your new light needs one, you must not install it.

If there really is no earth in your lighting circuit this is indicative of an old installation, and you should get it all checked out.

If there is an earth, but some bozo has cut it back, don't rely on it without verifying its continuity - if it's disconnected in one place it's probably disconnected in others.

Definately no Earth as i have had a look in the switch.

So you are saying i can fit class 2 light fitting to this. Will this be ok as i really cant afford rewiring etc.

jackpot said:
Definately no Earth as i have had a look in the switch.

So you are saying i can fit class 2 light fitting to this. Will this be ok as i really cant afford rewiring etc.

ban-all-sheds said:
If there is no earth then you can only fit Class II (double insulated) accessories etc.

Can it get any clearer than that?

Sponsored Links
Sorry just want to double check as i dont want to blow the house up and kill the kids or anything.

Accessories??? Will this be the same for new radiator etc and do the like of b & q sell these class 2 light fittings etc??

jackpot said:
Sorry just want to double check as i dont want to blow the house up and kill the kids or anything.

Accessories??? Will this be the same for new radiator etc and do the like of b & q sell these class 2 light fittings etc??

"Accessory" is the generic term for the fixtures and fittings you commonly find in a fixed installation- light fittings, sockets, switches, etc.

Class II insulated things are often referred to as "double insulated". Find out more about insulation classes on wikipedia - which also shows you the little square-in-a-square logo which signifies class II insulated properties.

The sheds will sell class II light fittings, but you'll probably need to examine the packaging or the fitting itself to determine which are suitable.

It might be easier to visit your local electrical factor and ask them- they should know straight away what will be suitable, whereas the monkeys in B&Q won't.

Immediate thoughts:

1) You'll want more than one. 2 x 40W candle lamps will seem awfully dim after your fluoro, and when one of the lamps fails (as they will do with depressing regularity) turning the light on will actually make the room darker.

2) Regarding short lamp life, not only is this a PITA for the usual reasons, those luminaires look like there might be a bit of a rigmarole in changing them - screwed down glass and a gasket, maybe?

IMO you should ask the manufacturer or retailer if there is the physical space inside for you to be able to use the CFL (compact fluorescent) SES candle lamps like these:

imagecopyright.asp

They are bigger than normal incandescent lamps, but if you can fit them you'll save running costs and you'll save lamp changes

3) Shop around, I'm sure there must be others on the market, unless these ones give you a stiffy....

4) Have you considered ELV (12V) lighting? Many (some?/most?/all?) of the transformers are Class II.

Ideally i would like the room to be dimmer than before as it is only a small room and was bright as hell..
Just want a light that looks good and not having to change bulb every 5 minutes.

Sent off for a light and to arrive and it was to be earthed and states its class 1..AFTER saying it was double insulated. Quite hard to come by these lights

Try looking at the luminaires from HIB.

Here is one supplier http://www.boundarybathrooms.co.uk/WebShop.aspx?Category=1766 but there are others - I'm sure you can do the shopping around bit. (I bought mine from one of the plumbing sheds - Plumbworld or Plumbcenter).

I've got some Strata ceiling lights and Tube wall lights, and I know that the wall lights are Class II. I can't remember about the ceiling light, but I note that the website doesn't have that info, so it might be worth asking them.

Part P affects bathroom electrics - have you submitted a Building Notice to your Council?

Kai - Part P "affects" all work on fixed electrical installations in dwellings - surely you know that?

And why did you ask if he's submitted a Building Notice? Why do you think he should have to?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back