No electric trip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning.
We have a utility room which has a additional consumer unit which connects back to the main house consumer unit.
Doing the ironing the electric tripped in the utility room. The main house electrics working fine still. Looked in consumer unit and RCD tripped. Reset RCD but nothing happened. Reset main RCD in this consumer unit then the tripped RCD but still nothing.

I looked in main house consumer unit and all looks fine.
I reset this RCD but no change so I then did the main RCD also no change.

So at present house all fine but utility room no electric.

Photos supplied of the following.
Utility room C/Unit
Main house C/Unit
Electric tester
Cable from house C/Unit to utility room C/Unit.

As cable is armoured not sure if this tester will work because no beep beep on tester.

Touching any wire in utility room C/Unit also no beep.

Where do I now look please.

Attachments

• 082ED8FF-4E6C-49F4-90B7-9EA54161294D.jpeg
    082ED8FF-4E6C-49F4-90B7-9EA54161294D.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 180
  • C0C494C9-EEC7-45D3-BCEC-F57DBEA4F649.jpeg
    C0C494C9-EEC7-45D3-BCEC-F57DBEA4F649.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 171
  • E47E8AAC-B2A1-4EEE-8D4E-85EDB31EC988.jpeg
    E47E8AAC-B2A1-4EEE-8D4E-85EDB31EC988.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 889FA2D6-E06E-45CA-A689-013432391AF0.jpeg
    889FA2D6-E06E-45CA-A689-013432391AF0.jpeg
    435.6 KB · Views: 165
Sponsored Links
I reset this RCD but no change so I then did the main RCD also no change.
Just one initial thought ... with some protective devices (MCBs, RCDs, RCBOs), when they have tripped one has to push the lever firmly right down (into the 'off position) before they can be reset (by pushing the lever back up.

Kind Regards, John

What is that MCB marked 'boiler' actually for? It's switched off. Try switching it on.

If it isn't that 'boiler' item, then there may be some other fuse or protective device somewhere else. You will need to establish where the utility room consumer unit supply is connected.

Thanks.
Totally forgot to switch the boiler in.
Boiler then start and I could here the fan start to spin. At the same time I could then here the phone go beep beep.
All sorted now thanks.

Without taking the cover off the main C/Unit will I expect to see the armoured cable outer sheath be cut away & connected somehow with the boiler ?

Also does this mean if the boiler is switched off the electric should be off in the utility room because when we have it serviced etc the electric is still ok.
I assume then he doesn’t switch the boiler off at the main C/Unit.

Sponsored Links
That lot needs sorting out. Is the circuit labelled boiler actually the feed for the ultility room. if so, the 16A MCB should be larger than 16A or there will be no discrimination- the utility CU has 16A MCBs in it.

Does the “boiler “ MCB feed just the armoured cable? photo of the main cu with no cover might help. But I suggest u get someone on site to sort it and label it all properly. And give u dome guidance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back