No Fall in Kitchen drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I wonder if anyone has a suggestions on my current problem.

Just bought a house and tonight I installed the washing machine and dishwasher into the existing point and thought all would be ok.

The kitchen is on two level and the plumbing has all been put on the lower level.

Anyway when the washing machine emptied I was greeted with the lovely dirty water coming up the plug hole on the sink and the same with the dishwasher. These three all enter on waste pipe which on first inspection it would was originally from the upper level of kitchen.

So it appears that there is very little fall if any on the drain.

The drain pipe exits the kitchen external wall about 20 inches up, can I lower this? Is there a pump solution for this sort of problem?

It also would appear that the external drain then comes back under the kitchen, there is an inspection cover in the garage which is ironically about 4 feet from the kitchen in the opposite direction to where the internal pipe runs.

Is it expensive to join drains at different points as this would be a much simpler solution, rather than the water exiting the kitchen on the north side and then heading south under the kitchen I could just run new drains south the near the inspection cover? Obviously underground with the correct joints.

Sorry if this makes no sense, just realised the time and I am knackered.

Thanks for any replies.

Neil

Sponsored Links
Putting 3 appliances on one waste is not an ideal situation, ideally at least one wants a dedicated waste or the common pipe upgrading to 50mm where 3rd appliance connects. Chances are existing waste is choked with grease and/or soap so water cannot drain away properly anyway.

Where does the pipe go, to an external gulley? If its accessible then easiest solution would be to replace the pipe, and upsize where necessary or install a separate waste for washing machine or dishwasher. Cut an exit hole through the wall lower down to achieve better fall on the pipes and make good existing hole.

Pumps are available, but if a fall can be achieved with a bit of adjustment on existing setup then I wouldnt even entertain the idea. They're primarily designed for use where an appliance is installed in a cellar, and/or below the level or the drains.

The kitchen waste should always discharge into a gulley where it is at atmospheric pressure.

It should NOT go directly into an underground soil drain.

As said it sounds as if the pipe is blocked and unblocking is the first thing to try.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back