No flow thru Gainsborough 9.5SDL Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Our en-suite shower was installed by the previous owner of the house, he was a cowboy to say the least. He's not put the feeder tank high enough so had to add a pump. Even with the pump, you have to lower the shower head to get a high enough flow rate for the pump to kick in.

It has been generally working, but sometimes the flow doesn't cut off when you hit the on-off button. To prevent this happening, I'd taken to whamming the flow/heat control to hot to slow down the flow after pressing the off button, cos this seemed to prevent the problem of not cutting out.

But the last time I did this I think I must have caused the PRD (Pressure Release Device) to kick in cos the water came out of a little nozzle above the hose fitting thread.

BUT WHAT'S WEIRD. We have an IDENTICAL shower in the next bedroom en-suite, connected to the SAME tank/pump feeder, which CONTINUED TO WORK until I took the cover off that one to compare to see if there was some sort of trip switch set in a diff position on the other one.

NOW BOTH SHOWERS DON'T WORK!!! I definitely did NOT cause the PRD to kick in on the other shower, but I did notice some grouting or other filler in the way of the equivalent nozzle above the hose-thread, which I thought best removed - but maybe the cowboy had stuck that in on purpose - or maybe it had just landed there - it didn't seem to be a water tight fitting, more just junk.

If I press the on switch now, both showers just give a trickle of water.

Anyone know if it's a simple fix I just can't see, or if I'm going to have to lay out for professional servicing?

I've seen the instruction manual here:-
> http://www.gainsboroughshowers.co.uk/upload/Documents/Gainsborough_Electric_Shower_07.pdf
...but this says to refer to servicing if the PRD has kicked in.

I don't know for deffo it is the PRD, esp. since the 2nd one stopped as well.

Cheers,
Cloink.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back