No hot water after boiler was turned off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a new baxi back boiler

yesterday I took off a radiator as I am doing flooring.

also during this time the fuse switch for the boiler was turned off.

I woke up this morning and the hot water (it’s on a timer) wasn’t there.

my guess here is that switching the boiler off means the pilot has gone out? Could this be why I have no hot water?

I was sure I have done this before without this happening but I could be wrong.

any advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
More likely the (electronic) timer has lost its program. Have you checked the pilot flame (if there is one, if it's a newish boiler there probably isn't one)

More likely the (electronic) timer has lost its program. Have you checked the pilot flame (if there is one, if it's a newish boiler there probably isn't one)

ah, well I realise I have cover with my gas company so we have someone coming later now anyway.

Im a bit nervy with gas and boilers etc so I’ll leave it him to sort out.

I did turn it just on constantly but nothing happened. Didn’t fire up, not sure what’s going on.

So the gas engineer doesn’t know anything about Baxi so we have baxi coming out.

Sponsored Links
Seems more likely to be an external fault (I could be wrong).

Seems more likely to be an external fault (I could be wrong).

the gas engineer didn’t know how to work on baxi so has referred to them

he checked the cold water feed tank to ensure it was full.

yesterday I lost 4 gallons out the radiator as it leaked when I took it off and didn’t close the valve correctly so wonder if it’s due to that

the only thing that’s changed since yesterday is I’ve lost water out the radiators and the electrics to it were turned off and on.

the fan will start but it won’t fire up

the gas engineer didn’t know how to work on baxi so has referred to them

the fan will start but it won’t fire up
You don’t know how to work on Baxi for external control faults - these are electrical and separate from the boiler (just connected electrically). I’m guessing air trapped at the pump, since you’ve drained down.

You don’t know how to work on Baxi for external control faults - these are electrical and separate from the boiler (just connected electrically). I’m guessing air trapped at the pump, since you’ve drained down.

Would this mean a new pump or floorboards coming up or will an engineer be able to clear with minimum fuss? Thanks

So the cover company are refusing to cover as they are saying that I improperly drained my system and did not follow correct procedure when draining the system.

I didn’t even follow procedure, I made a mistake taking a radiator off!

they said it would be a time consuming job saying that there’s air trapped essentially.

I have 7 radiators in a small terrace house.

can anyone give me an idea of what the damage will be if I have to pay for this? Is it that big a job?

Many thanks

Oh the other thing is, I am supposed to be putting a floor down in the room the boiler is in. Will they need to get underneath? It’s a back boiler in the dining room.

It's going to cost you at least half a days labour from someone with a clue. Unlikely to need floorboards up, possibly you'll get rinsed for 'a new pcb' but since you dived into the job with no attempt to shut the system down properly and obviously have little or no knowledge about heating systems treat it as a lesson.

It's going to cost you at least half a days labour from someone with a clue. Unlikely to need floorboards up, possibly you'll get rinsed for 'a new pcb' but since you dived into the job with no attempt to shut the system down properly and obviously have little or no knowledge about heating systems treat it as a lesson.

I just tried to take a radiator off. I was told from many sources this was an easy job.

I wanted to turn the valves off by tightening but my dad said half a turn. Stupidly I did that.

half a days work is acceptable. I was worried more like a couple.

hard lesson to learn when you had it right but caved to fathers advice!

Its the hard lessons you remember, your parents don't always know best :)
EDIT No idea what model your boiler is but modern ones have far more electronics in than old ones (used to be a gas valve, a thermocouple and thats it) so are more susceptible to failure when powered off abrubtly/incorrectly.
It would be odd for air to get trapped in the system (unless you didn't bleed the new rad before powering the pump up).

Last edited:
Tip-, before you undo any radiator unions, open the vent/bleedscrew on the rad, if water keeps pouring out, you know the valves aren't shut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back