No hot water after boiler was turned off.

Would this mean a new pump or floorboards coming up or will an engineer be able to clear with minimum fuss? Thanks
No, it shouldn’t mean a new pump, just the system needs bleeding if air. You have a feed and expansion cistern, very easy to draw air into that type of system.

How much did you drain? Are you a house or bungalow?

Sponsored Links
No, it shouldn’t mean a new pump, just the system needs bleeding if air. You have a feed and expansion cistern, very easy to draw air into that type of system.

How much did you drain? Are you a house or bungalow?

house

Cold water in loft
Hot water on 1st floor in tank
New 2008 baxi condensing back boiler in dining room

about 3-4 gallons

Sponsored Links
Ok, so you obviously filled back up, did you vent the upstairs radiators and pump?

Ok, so you obviously filled back up, did you vent the upstairs radiators and pump?

no. I don’t know where the pump is or how to vent it.
Do you mean using the bleed key on the rads? I can do that - as for the pump, not sure where it is or what it looks like

Yes, using a bleed key on the rads. Pump is usually in the cylinder cupboard, older ones have a screw in the middle to release air. As mentioned earlier, this should have been done already, but the aim is to guide you.

Yes, using a bleed key on the rads. Pump is usually in the cylinder cupboard, older ones have a screw in the middle to release air. As mentioned earlier, this should have been done already, but the aim is to guide you.

I will do this tomorrow AM

Another thing if anyone can help
F0D42B4A-8534-4229-9D86-1C712612D632.jpeg

When I had the spillage it was not this pipe. It was the other pipe spewing water out! This one seems to have a slow leak. I just turned the valve as tight as it will go. It had a tiny bit extra to turn.

I will leave this overnight but if the water hasn’t dried overnight, any idea what’s going on?

the pipe doesn’t seem very wet there is no obvious leak. I presume this is just a tiny trickle from the valve and may be ok when the rad is back on?

this accumulation is over about 24h, there is no noticeable leak from anywhere. The coupler is damp to the touch and the nut which holds the valve on is ever so slightly damp but it’s been resting on the damp floor

or just call a plumber.

This has been a disaster. First radiator I’ve taken off and I’ve knackered my central heating system and now have a slow leak!

I thought this was an easy job, I have 3 more of these to do, can’t be having to call plumbers out every time I take a rad off!

Jonah of DIY !

Last edited:
Leaks can take a little while to dry out, shouldn’t be dry by tomorrow. Perhaps call a plumber to remove the other 3, then get him or her to put them back on.

Leaks can take a little while to dry out, shouldn’t be dry by tomorrow. Perhaps call a plumber to remove the other 3, then get him or her to put them back on.

wait, DIYers need plumbers to remove rads? Every source I went to said it was a doddle. I only screwed it up because my old man told me duff info on the valve.

Surely close valves, drain rad,then when you put on attach rad turn on valves and bleed the air until water cometh from the bleed valve?

am I missing something?

thing is right, I am doing it one room at a time. I suppose I could get me plumber to just do them all. I am willing to swallow my pride and get a pro to do it, but I like to think I am learning and I’d like to be able to do basic stuff like this. Or would most competent DIYers just get a plumber - or are you saying this as I am apparently a numpty who has no knowledge of how heating systems work (true) and has already knackered his central heating system? ;)

ps that water leak is almost gone. Now I closed up the valve it is much reduced this am thank god!

Last edited:
or just call a plumber.

This has been a disaster. First radiator I’ve taken off and I’ve knackered my central heating system and now have a slow leak!

I thought this was an easy job, I have 3 more of these to do, can’t be having to call plumbers out every time I take a rad off!

Jonah of DIY !

wait, DIYers need plumbers to remove rads?
Merely going off what you said, I didn’t say you needed a plumber, just making observations from what information you have provided. If you feel confident to do the rest, crack on. You have already quoted how to remove, the only other piece of advice I’ll suggest is count the number of turns on the lockshield valve, this should then not upset the balance of the system.

This may be a silly question but….

I neglected to say the radiator is still taken off.

The boiler won’t start for my hot water tank or heating.

Am I just being stupid and the boiler doesn’t work if the circuit for the heating is interrupted and broken? I assumed it’s like mains water. If you just isolate a room it works elsewhere.

is there a chance when I put the rad back on the boiler will work again?

or should the boiler be working for hot water regardless of the heating circuit having a rad off

to recap:

baxi condensing back boiler
Hot water tank
Cold water in loft
Took rad off
Lost 4 gallons from heating system when o took it off

I'm wondering if you drained the system when the boiler was on causing it to overheat perhaps ... on the right side of the electric fire front you will have a small digital display is this showing an error ? If so reset

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back