No hot water from Range Tribune HE immersion cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To preface my gas boiler downstairs is currently completely broken, and will be fixed by an engineer on Monday, however I've been informed on phone that I have an immersion heater (Range Tribune HE) that I could use to at least get hot water in the meantime. Issue is I can't seem to get hot water from it at all. I've been through these forums to see if anyone had any similar issues to me but to no avail. Pictures of my system are attached; I'm not entirely sure what the switch with the red light is though, I assume its the on switch for the immersion heater?

One thing I will point out is that I do hear a noise coming out from the valve with a grey box on it. It sounds like as if a high current is flowing through it and its very intermittent. I've been stuck with absolutely zero hot water & heating for 8 days now thanks to the poor service I received from the company thats supposed to deal with my heating with constant delays and only yesterday I had an engineer come over to figure out whats wrong with my gas boiler.

I hope I can find a solution for this soon, getting a bit desperate here since the weather is starting to become cold.

Attachments

• 20220918_041258.jpg
    20220918_041258.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 503
  • 20220918_041250.jpg
    20220918_041250.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 536
Sponsored Links
The immersion heater is the grey circular thing at the bottom of cylinder next to the square thermostat, and the switch on the floor is likely its on/off switch. As the light is 'on' and you aren't getting hot water then it would appear to be faulty. Here are a couple of things you can try.

1. With the switch and red light on, find your consumer unit, there should be an MCB labelled 'Water Heater' or 'Immersion' something similar to this:

Capture.JPG

turn the MCB off and see if the red light on the switch also goes off. If it does, you have found the switch that controls the immersion heater.

2. Assuming the above has identified the switch correctly, turn the switch off and remove the cover from the immersion heater. Inside there will be a thermostat usually with a dial on, some have an over temperature trip button that if it has activated can be reset. Something like this:

Capture1JPG.JPG

3. If that doesn't work, then someone who is competent with using a multimer can check the immersion heater and thermostat to find out if either has failed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back