No Hot water - help please !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Made this account in desperation, as I am getting no hot water. (As in no water at all). This occured after fitting a mixer tap in the upstairs bath. I turned isolated 3 rotary valves in the airing cupboard and the main stopcock for the house. after turning the water back on, the cold is working fine. The f & e tank is filling however no hot water. I'm pretty sure I have re-instated all of the valves and have no clue what to do from here.
I have very limited plumbing knowledge as I thought this was a relatively simple job so please bear with me !!
I thanks anybody in advance for their help and time !
Thank-you
Jim

Sponsored Links
It's entirely possible that the valve shutting off your hot water has jammed shut and sheared its spindle, so the handle is rotating but the bits inside aren't moving. One of the most irritating things to happen to a plumber, and more common than you might think. Solution is to replace the valve, but in order to do that you need to find a way of draining your loft tank. Could also be an airlock, but I'd expect at least one tap to have a bit of water coming out, so I think the jammed valve is most likely

Was it a red-handled gate valve that you turned to isolate the hot water. It is a regular occurrence for then not to open once shut.

You will have to isolate the header tank and syphon the water level to below the outlet level. There will still be some water in the pipe so have a towel ready.

Replace with a full bore lever valve. Take care if the old pipe is ¾" imperial copper as you will need ¾" olives. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
he's not changing the tap .... he's changing a gate valve below the tank. Well, he might be.

Another example of careless words!

He is draining the loft storage tank !

Another solution is to call a plumber !

Tony

]
Think you mean cistern Tony :whistle:

Jon

Since I joined these forums there has been a change in language used and the old plumbing terms like cistern and warning pipe are not currently used.

Airlock or seized gate valve - wouldn't it be nice if the OP got back to us with resolution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back