no hot water or heating together

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if anyone can help me, who may have come across this problem before?

This started to happen about a month ago:

i have a gloworn boiler and my system is open, i have 2 tanks in the loft space.

i can get heating ok and hot water ok, but when both are on together i only get hot water. i am having to use my immersion heater for hot water in the evenings and morning as the radiators do not warm up otherwise if i have hot water programmed on too.

there is also a little bit of noise which is coming from the pipes when the hot water is on, maybe this is trapped air?

what is causing this problem as it is condusing me?

Sponsored Links
It could be one of three things,

Either a faulty programmer

or a faulty mid position valve

or a faulty cylinder stat.

Have you noticed that the hot water is hotter than usual?

hmmm

ok

i do have a 3 port valve but it seems to work (i mean move across) as the heating comes on, and the hot water comes on (rest position this is i believe).

the cylinder stat? how would that cause this problem though....

the programmer also seems to be fine as we get them both separately....

But does the valve move to the mid position when you select both?

It could also be a weak pump but that tends to show up unbalanced rads.

Tony

Sponsored Links
If the cylinder stat does not send the signal to close then that could be the fault.

As Tony said:

That is why the question was asked

If the cylinder stat does not send the signal to close then that could be the fault.

As Tony said:

That is why the question was asked
Or you probably have a diverter valve with hot water priority instead of a mid position valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back