No Hot Water Vaillant Turbomax plus 828E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have no hot water and have been fault finding & learning from the internet for several hours.

I think Ive narrowed it down to the aqua switch as when the hot tap is turned on, nothing happens on the boiler, no yellow led to indicate ignition and no green led to indicate demand. (my CH is working fine)

I can see from the register list that D22 contains value 0 which backs up the logic that it is a faulty sensor. Ive also read that these can get clogged up over time, my boiler was fitted around 2001 so definitely old enough for it to have become clogged up.

Id rather replace the complete unit rather than taking it apart & cleaning it.

My question is, do I have to drain my system right down, (& lose my inhibitor), or can I just isolate the supply to the sensor & open the hot taps. Would this be sufficient ?

Thanks for any response.

Sponsored Links
you dont need to drain the boiler, just isolate the cold water inlet and open a hot tap , the system water does not meet the cold water inlet so no need to drain the boiler, but be very carefull , have you had any plumbing work done ? I always turn the heating on so the boiler is warm and open up a hot tap and feel the cold water inlet and Hot water outlet to make sure they are plumbed the correct way round because if they are not and I have had a few,, but after the first one I never got caught out again , you will flood the place when you remove the aqua sensor, very easy job if the orientation of the pipes is correct

Hi, thanks for your reply. No no work done it just stopped providing hot water yesterday when I was running a bath. As its not working atm I cannot carry out those checks although its not been tampered with since 2001 so assume! its right.

Hi, thanks for your reply. No no work done it just stopped providing hot water yesterday when I was running a bath. As its not working atm I cannot carry out those checks although its not been tampered with since 2001 so assume! its right.
you can test it just put the CH on the HW will pick up some heat and one pipe will be warmer than the other, either that or isolate the water at the main stop cock , open up a hot tap till the water stops then remove the aqua sensor and have a look, unusual to find a faulty one but seen a few blocked by small stones and stuff

Sponsored Links
you can test it just put the CH on the HW will pick up some heat and one pipe will be warmer than the other, either that or isolate the water at the main stop cock , open up a hot tap till the water stops then remove the aqua sensor and have a look, unusual to find a faulty one but seen a few blocked by small stones and stuff

Ok I will check. Do you know how easy it is to remove ? It looks like just fittings and spring clips ?
I thinking that I dont need a plumber to do this for me..

You might be able to get some HW by engaging the HW preheat.

Most times I have looked inside the turbine and seen no dirt but just washed it through.

Put it back and it worked.

Most times I have looked inside the turbine and seen no dirt but just washed it through.

Put it back and it worked.

Did consider just cleaning it but worried that if I break it without a spare etc.

Mine did the same. The flow sensor was gummed up. 5 minute job to pop out the spring clip, clean it up and put it back in. Very simple and nothing really to break. The turbine just sits in the chamber. Just turn off the cold water feed and open a downstairs tap.

Mine did the same. The flow sensor was gummed up. 5 minute job to pop out the spring clip, clean it up and put it back in. Very simple and nothing really to break. The turbine just sits in the chamber. Just turn off the cold water feed and open a downstairs tap.

So to be clear you did this without removing the complete assembly ? If so then yes sounds easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back