No Hot Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problem: :cry: am not getting any hot water from any taps. The shower (mixer) is fine though but after investigating, the shower seems to come out of the side of the hot water tank. The hot water tank says on its label, indirect, grade 3, 117 litres. The pipe going into the side of the tank-and the one coming out a bit lower down, are very hot (too hot to touch for very long) - so is there a blockage somewhere in my pipework to the taps ? ...

Sponsored Links
the pipe that feeds your taps is out of the top of the cylinder.

is their any water out of hot tap or just cold water coming out ?

Hello - there is cold water from the cold taps, but nothing from the hot. There was a dribble but now nothing. I think the thermostat on the hot water tank is working as the pipes to it are very hot to the touch.

The pipe that feeds the hot taps comes out of the hot water tank and runs down-and also up (i think the up pipe is the venting pipe)?

you have an airlock in the pipework.

have you a mixer tap in the bathroom fed by cold mains water ?
have you had the hot water from the cylinder shut off at all to work on a tap or anything ?
as you only useally get a airlock if the pipes been drained etc.

you may want to check your tank in the loft first to make sure it full and the ballcock not jammed shut, so not filling the tank.

Sponsored Links
All of our cold taps are fed from our cold water tank. Our kitchen tap has a cold high pressure. This is the mains drinking tap i believe.

if your cold taps are tank fed then your tank in loft should be ok then.

you can use the cold mains to backfill the hot tap so pushing the airlock out.

Ok thanks. i will do this. What is the easiest way of doing this though please?

I can't understand how we got an irlock though-i have not drained down any part of the system to fit new taps or anything.

you can either stick the garden hose up the hot tap.
open the hot tap, put hose up it and someone to turn the hose on.
but not full pelt or you'll get drowned.

or on some kitchen taps you can block the spout open the hot then open the cold 1/4 turn to push the airlock back.

can be done with the palm of your hand let it run for a few mins then turn the cold off. the hot should start running under its own pressure.

Ok i will try this... the hose though won't go up inside the tap and hold, do you mean just hold the hose near the tap so when the mains cold water is turned ON some water shoots up the spout? if so... i'll get my son to help me! i'll need a few towels i am thinking. thanks for helping. hopefully the air will shift back into the tank.

if you can hold the hose tight to the tap. with a towel round it save it going all over you.

pain but it works.

Hi

have tried this but no joy-tried it 4 times. maybe it is not an airlock. could it be a blockage somewhere?

common place for a block is where the pipe exits the cylinder builds up with scale.
but you usally notice a reduction in flow over time.

check the outlet in the loft tank to the cylinder. is free and not blocked.

how long did you hold it there ?
can you get the hose to the loft ?

The lid is not on my cold tank - do not know how long it has been off - it was just a piece of chipboard rested over the tank. Maybe it blew off with the winds a few weeks or more ago. There looks to be bits of old loft insulation floating in the tank and in the water itself. Is this the cause-i can feel inside and the hole at the bottom (there are 3) all seem unobstructed. Maybe it has gone down into the pipe? :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back