No Hot Water

it does happen, maybe blocking the cylinder from filling or maybe in the top of the cylinder.

can you get the hose to it ?

Sponsored Links
try putting the hose down the pipe that feeds the cylinder.
you will see if the pipes clear it will start coming out the vent pipe.(pipe over top of the tank.)

or put it up the vent pipe and force it backwards.

Ok will give this a go. Do you mean water will come out of the vent pipe, or the insulation or whatever it is that is causing the blockage will? should i close all hot taps whilst doing this?

Sponsored Links
if you suspect the feed is blocked put the hose down the vent pipe and blow it backwards into the bottom pipe in the tank.

if you put you hand near the pipe in tank you'll feel the water come out of it.

ok i'll get my son to give me a hand again and give it a go.

so the obstruction should basically be blown back into the cold water tank through the hole outlet where it got in? if not, i should try it the other way and it may come out the vent pipe?

one last point before i try it though-should i close all hot taps?

close the taps and try.
if all seems clear open a tap with the hose still in the tanks feed pipe.

ok will do it now - will be back shortly! will try with the taps closed first, hopefully forcing it back out. if not, will have big problems?

have tried it, with the taps closed, and water come out of the pipe inside the cold water tank, but no insulation or anything. opened the hot tap and still no hot water. :(

Good point - or maybe in the cylinder itself near the top outlet? Or would the last 2 tests have shifted if from that position?

if you put the hose in the tank feed and water comes out the vent the top of cylinder is not blocked.

Sounds like it must be past the hot water tank and towards the taps - is this going to need re-piping? Noting else I can try to shift it?

next plan.
if you have a washing machine, disconnect the hot pipe probably have to remove the valve if its got a one way valve in it and join the hose to the copper hot pipe their and flush it backwards.

OK, will take a look. Where will this shift the blockage too?? (I think my machine is both hot and cold fill.. will check now). Is this trick also used for some airlocks, I have heard of a washing machine trick but did not know what it was for?!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back