No hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

First time post and wasn’t sure whether to pop this in plumbing and heating or electrics.. I’ve just moved into a flat last week and cannot for the life of me figure out the hot water. I’ve finally managed to find a guide online to the timer that’s in use, but I still can’t get it to work.

The flat is entirely electric, and I believe I have an immersion hot water tank. Now on the wall next to these there are two switches with lights - both switches are on but the light on the left one is not.

I had hot water the first few days I moved in so I assume I’m just being dim, but wondered if anyone could help me troubleshoot.

Let me know what information might be useful?

Tank is Telford Tempest stainless Steel. Immersion is Zilmet.

There are two wires coming out of the tank and into the wall, which I assume are the two switches, but I can’t see a wire from the immersion which perplexed me.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
0B3FD988-BEB1-40A7-AEC4-1504B5C7F026.jpeg
F996E02C-49F9-4CEF-9129-CC8F665EE25A.jpeg

your timer is set to off click it to the right and wait an hour or so and you will have hot water, when you set it to on the other neon should come on

Sponsored Links
I’ve also put it on override about four hours ago, still no hot water?

OK isolate the power and remove the covers from the immersion heaters, there will be a small reset button on each press them and see if any click when you press them , if they do then turn the power back on and you will be sorted

Thanks Ian. I’m cooking dinner at the moment so will try that once done as I can’t read the electricians handwriting on the fuse box! Will update you. Thanks again

While I’m here in the plumbing forum - the toilets constantly running down the overflow too. The float valve seems to be ineffective. I bought a replacement but I can’t get the damn pipe unscrewed. If anyone has any tips on that too I’d appreciate it!

While I’m here in the plumbing forum - the toilets constantly running down the overflow too. The float valve seems to be ineffective. I bought a replacement but I can’t get the damn pipe unscrewed. If anyone has any tips on that too I’d appreciate it!
Start a new thread. And post pics there ,otherwise this one could get quite complicated !!

920CC81E-D9ED-4FBF-AB75-DEA279F4D5E1.jpeg
I’m potentially being blind, but I can’t see a reset button. It’s a SHEL SS11..??

Just noticed that black wire doesn’t look great does it...

Just noticed that black wire doesn’t look great does it...
No its not good. Needs re wiring.
The stat is an old type and does not have a cut out.
What is the other immersions condition ?

D631B678-7D76-47C3-847E-E803EEE5B7AC.jpeg
Second looks okay! I’m happy with most DIY but feel like this is an electricians job as it isn’t just replacing the element by the looks of it...

View attachment 170562 Second looks okay! I’m happy with most DIY but feel like this is an electricians job as it isn’t just replacing the element by the looks of it...
I take it that's the lower element in the cylinder ,which looks in good condition. This is often connected to an off peak electricity supply ,is yours ?
By all means if you are not comfortable with electrics call in a pro ,however if the actual element needs replacing ( which I doubt) you will need a plumber .
The other element ,with insulation damage on the neutral conductor, can easily be rectified by cutting back the cable a few inches ,cleaning the terminal and re connecting ,it may then work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back