No hot water

Yes that’s right - lower element in good condition. I do indeed have a secondary electricity rate for over night. Would you therefore imagine that if I were to leave the hot water on overnight, I should wake up with warm water? I’ve been turning the water supply off overnight due to my leaky toilet and desire to reduce waste (another post now!) - save the planet and all that.

If the element won’t likely need replacing too, I’m happy with just the wiring. Adding it all in together felt like a pro would be better suited!

Sponsored Links
Turning off the water supply has no effect at all on an immersion heaters ability to heat the water in the tank.
The element that's connected to the off peak would of course need to be switched on by whatever switch/ switches or timer that its wired from.
And providing the element and its stat are in working order you should get hot water in the morning.

Yes good point forgot the fact that there is already water in there hahaha. The left switch I think I had generally left switched off as it never lit up - perhaps because it is supplied electricity only at night. I’ll definitely try that tonight and see if I can sort the wiring after work tomorrow. Hopefully there is enough slack in the cable and I don’t have to fart around with anything more than that

Thanks for all your help - will try and give an update tomorrow depending what time I get out of the office. Appreciate it!

Can't see how much slack there is in the cable ( there's a vacuum cleaner in the way )!!! But you only need to cut back about 2 1/2 inches.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Sponsored Links
Steamer actually. Haha. Just for my understanding, two switches for two heaters - makes sense. Which one does the timer control though? How would one know this? I assume the day one makes sense and the night one should just be on full stop?

The lower one will heat a much greater quantity of water ,all above it .so makes sense to do that with cheaper off peak.
The one higher up will only heat water above it ,so if you don't NEED a lot of hot water it makes no sense to heat all the tank ,you therefore use the timer to operate for a short period ,or only on the days you need hot water for instance, or as a booster. It would therefore be wired to your normal rate supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back