No insulation in my loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I bought a house which used to be a bungalow but has had the roof raised to create 3 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs.

The master bedroom seem freezing (you can see your breath in there) so I got a builder to have a look under the plasterboard ceiling and it seems there is no insulation in there!!!

The extension was done in 2000 and we bought the house in 2008.

The builder said we should contact building control to see what was completed and signed off.

My question is if it turns out that building control have signed off the build and the insulation was not done, can we get some sort of monies from them to help with the work. Surely someone is liable/ negligent here???!!

Thanks,

Worried and freezing Catherine!

Sponsored Links
money for what??
compensation i would say nil chance
get the fee back you paid perhaps except it was before your time :(

When you bought the house, and your solicitor asked for evidence that the conversion had Planning Permission and Buildings Control approval, what did he get?

Does the conversion have a staircase?

Hi,

yes I would imagine the solicitor would have checked all building regs, planning permissions were in order.

Yes it does have a stair case.

Just wondering what is the point in building control then if they pass work not done? :( surely there is a contract ?

Sponsored Links
I think what JohnD is getting at is that it might not have BC sign off, or perhaps PP, and that you should think carefully about what you say to building control before establishing that you do indeed have sign off.

Gary

There is a precedent [English] court case which decided that the council's building control people were not responsible for any failure to do their job.

As you are in Scotland, get some legal advice on the situation there

2008? You'll not get anywhere asking your solicitor, or with Building Control for that matter, you may as well just concentrate on getting it insulated and checking what else wasn't done right.

There is a precedent [English] court case which decided that the council's building control people were not responsible for any failure to do their job.

As you are in Scotland, get some legal advice on the situation there

Our local building control added support to the remainder of the chimney stack in our loft free of charge. The previous owner had the chimney breasts removed & signed off in 2006. In 2011 we called them as looked like it was moving. They came and put in huge gallow brackets and supports, saying what was there before never should have been OK'd.

Might be worth an ask, but maybe our one was more worried about possibly being sued if it collapsed. Council might be less concerned if you cold!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back