no insulation in the void of my dormer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought my first flat, the building was originally a single storey with ridged dormer windows to the front. Not sure when it was split into 2 properties or when the flat roofed dormer went in at the back. I was removing plasterboard to put in a shower and found a low stone wall, covered in builder's rubbish, with a timber frame on top. It goes all the way from the airing cupboard, through the bathroom - behind the loo and bath, and into the kitchen- behind the sink and washing machine. The toilet waste pipe , and hot and cold pipes to the bath, basin and kitchen all run through it , below the level of the wall. There is a vent out below the kitchen window and the whole thing is enclosed at the top by a wide windowsill. There is no insulation in it, and as I'll be closing it off with multiboard and tile I want to get the insulation right. Access at the kitchen and cupboard end is problematic due to the hot water tank and built-in kitchen units.
void.jpg
Currently there is no central heating. I might consider gas as it's in nearby houses, or possibly infrared panels. Not sure if that will affect ventilation. Any advice for a novice?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back