No lighting downstairs (help needed)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all,

For the past couple of days I’ve had no lighting downstairs, according to the wife several lights were on at the time including the kitchen and dinning room, and then there was darkness, along with the 5amp fuse being tripped at the breaker.
The first thing I checked with trusty multi-meter was the fuse, which has continuity across when pushed on; I also tested the same fuse on the upstairs lighting, which worked fine, so that discounts the fuse.
Next I tested for 240v from both sides of the fuse socket; again with the use of the multi-meter, with one probe live, the other to ground, all seems ok there as well.
After this I checked continuity from all wall switches to each light fixture, all seems ok there, and there is also voltage at each switch as well.
The fuse itself doesn’t trip at all when the breakers power is on, but still no lighting. At this point I’m completely perplexed, can anyone offer any advice to my lighting problem :?:

Regards,
Russ

Sponsored Links
sounds like you have only been testing live to earth??there will be no neutral at the switch in some wiring methods which it sounds like.you need to test your voltage at a light live to neutral and live to earth then let us know what you get. sounds like a loose/broken neutral possibly.

Cheers for the info, will try first thing when light, and post my findings. PS I couldn’t find any loose wiring at the fixtures or switches!

Sponsored Links
Ok, I've manged to test the dinning room light fixture, and my reading are 205v between live and neutral, and 240v between live and earth, just need to test the others!

Thanks again

at that same light fitting test neutral and earth it sounds like you will have voltage on your earth which suggests loose neutral.if you know what your first light is from the board and test from then onwards you will find which fitting its likely in.

at that same light fitting test neutral and earth it sounds like you will have voltage on your earth which suggests loose neutral.if you know what your first light is from the board and test from then onwards you will find which fitting its likely in.

I think it's more a case of voltage on the neutral when measured against the earth, which is at, well, earth potential! I don't disagree with your diagnosis though - it does sound like an open circuit neutral.

yes sorry electronicsuk you are correct been long day my apologies for possible confusion.

So am I specifically looking for a broken neutral, and if I can’t find any at the lighting fixtures, what should my next step be?

Russ

So am I specifically looking for a broken neutral, and if I can’t find any at the lighting fixtures, what should my next step be?

Russ

If none of the lights on that circuit are working, the break must be somewhere between the consumer unit and first light, in which case it would make sense to look inside the CU first. There may also be a nasty hidden joint box somewhere that's causing you problems.

specially if its older house usually main joint box that all cables go to is there one twin and earth at lights or more?as this would suggest there is jb if or most only have one cable providing its not looped through switch which going off previous posts i doubt.

Have now had the chance to look at the light fixture in the kitchen, to find I have no voltage between live and neutral, but have 240v between live and earth, and neutral and earth. I thinking it's time to call somebody out, any recommendations for an electrician in the south beds area?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back