No lights after installing new roses

I've also seen advice saying never to put 2 blacks together!
Only if you know what the blacks are for. Unfortunately one of your blacks (the one that used to have the red sleeve) is a switched live. If you connect that to a black that is a neutral and switch on, then BANG!.

So, you really need to find which of those blacks had the red sleeve........

But that is for light #3. For light #1 follow EFLI's advice, but only after testing first.

Sponsored Links
Well, its there on the 'before' picture, but its not on the 'after' picture. There's really only one possibility.

Hi - it's on the after picture, but not very clear. It's the far left one next to the blue

l4qRDxv.jpg

Update: OK I really think I am getting somewhere! I disconnected both wires in rose #1 and tested again.

I have 240v from one cable when the switch is on, and 0v when the switch is off.

The second cable gives me 0v regardless.

So I wired up the 240v wires to the rose and it works, full brightness, very bright in fact!

I now assume the other cable is just feeding this voltage to the second light?

Not sure how to connect this if that's correct - my brain says black to black and red to red; but I haven't done this yet as I am nervous of doing it.

Thoughts?!

Here's the latest pic

20161104_125235.jpg

Sponsored Links
It worked! :D:D:D:D

I trust this is the correct way to do it and will be safe?

Is this looping at the switch?

OK, so now the room with the 2 new lights has a feint burning smell - and the new light fitting is very hot - I've turned it off while I investigate.

Could this be the wiring, the bulb or the fitting? I do have just 2 candle bulbs in there for now as this is what was in the chandeliers (10 of them!).

Or maybe it's Ok to get hot and it's just the smell of new plastic getting warm (does smell that way).

o_O:((n)

Are the lampholders T1, rated to 60W?

If so and you are using 100's, then that would explain the hot plastic smell.

Are the lampholders T1, rated to 60W?

If so and you are using 100's, then that would explain the hot plastic smell.

The rose and pendant drop are rated for 100w - the bulbs I used are 40w. Not sure if it's T1 or T2.

The fact there are two wires there may suggest it is the end of a circuit, but if there is another rose in the same room working off the same switch, it could well be wired red to red and black to black in the rose.

I wasn't sure what that meant at the time, seems very obvious to me now :)

No sorry. It's my fault. No wonder you did not fully understand.... I said two wires when I meant to say two cables...:oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back