No lights after installing new roses

Sponsored Links
I've turned them off and will call a sparky tomorrow, can't take risks of burning the house down :(

That's not it then. T1 lampholders are rated up to 60W, T2 up to 100W.

Contacted the manufacturer and they said T2 holders.

Could it be the wiring of the switch? The old one had 2 inputs (L3 and L2) they had 2 wires in L3 and 1 wire in L2.

My new switch has L1,L2 & L3. I have 1 in L1 and 2 in L2.

Does it smell fishy?

What brand are these lamp holders?

Could you swap a lamp holder and flex from another fitting that you know does not smell to the lounge temporarily and see what happens?

There may be arcing and burning if you had a loose connection in a rose or the switch, but I don't think the smell would be that obvious that quickly.

You could turn off the lights and re-check all your connections to make sure they are all secure, including connections made by the factory, ie inside lamp holders.

If they are, I would point the issue towards the lamp holders, especially if the problem goes away when you swap the lamp holders over.

Sponsored Links
Does it smell fishy?

What brand are these lamp holders?

Could you swap a lamp holder and flex from another fitting that you know does not smell to the lounge temporarily and see what happens?

There may be arcing and burning if you had a loose connection in a rose or the switch, but I don't think the smell would be that obvious that quickly.

You could turn off the lights and re-check all your connections to make sure they are all secure, including connections made by the factory, ie inside lamp holders.

If they are, I would point the issue towards the lamp holders, especially if the problem goes away when you swap the lamp holders over.

No it's definitely not fish - it's very feint but everyone can smell it when entering the room. The smell is similar to hot plastic smell, or when you burn dust off a new appliance like boiling a new kettle.

It's too dark now but I'll recheck all connections first thing tomorrow, I did check rose #1 and everything was tight.

They were unbranded - from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003T07TPM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unlikely to be the switch, but check the connections with the power off.

If it is a one way switch, it is only in effect "shorting" the two terminals together.

As long as you have the right pair of wires together, the connections are tight and the switch has the desired effect on the light, then I can't see an issue.

As I said, try swapping the lamp holders tomorrow. If the rooms containing the Amazon lamp holder smells funny and the lounge does not, then it is the lampholder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back