No more ply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I am currently doing my bathroom and have nmp to put in the shower, walls and floor. However I bought all 6mm nmp for the entire project which obviously is not thick enough for the walls. It's quite expensive stuff so I was thinking of doubling up 2x6mm to make 12mm on the shower walls. Of course I would stagger joints and glue and fix with screws. Does anyone think this will be an issue?

Also is it recommended to put a vapour barrier up before fixing the nmp or even mineral insulation in between the studs. I am aware nmp should be glued to studs which I couldn't do if a barrier was installed.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Is it, thought 12mm is normal for walls to create a decent substrate for tiles. Interested to hear your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Okay...

Whilst yes, doubling up WOULD give you 12mm, the tiled surface is only as strong as the immediate background so in this case, 6mm NMP, which whilst it may be fairly solid to the eye, it may have a lot of vertical and lateral movement that we cannot see. The reason it is recommended to use a solid 12mm board to both stability and being able to continue directly along the run with plasterboard.

If I were you, I would return the excess NMP and get 12mm NMP. Or even better, Wedi XPS board as that is 100% waterproof as opposed to water resistant. If you do get Wedi, then make sure you use the 610 sealant as it is silicone free (silicone releases a mild acid as it sets which dissolves the XPS) and solvent free (solvents also melt the XPS). I think Jackoboard is also along the same lines as Wedi.

If you want to go with something that feels a bit more solid, then 12mm Hardiebacker is the way forward. But honestly, if you want something with a more solid feel then you would be just as good using 12mm NMP instead as I personally don't see the point in trading 1 brand for another when both do similar things.

Yes, 6mm NMP is fine for walls but if it's anything like the several boards I've had experience with, it won't be suitable onto studwork which is what I'm assuming the OP has :)

if the studwork has plaster board over it already...and in poor condition can it be fitted in that case...how to fix it though i see there are special screws on the video for the floor..
is it to be glued to the wall?
i would have used this and just did dome ply screwed to my garage floor which the NMP might have been more suitable...its just at the end of the garage where the laundry stuff is
cheers
geof

The screws and bit supplied are rubbish. They don’t countersink very well so are proud of the board and the screw bit destroys itself after 2-3 screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back