No negative

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a 20 year old self installed Accentra mini 8 intruder alarm. This has worked well until recently when the external sounder and strobe light stopped working. This is mounted quite high on the house and not being as able on ladders as I was when I installed it I decided to carry out some tests on the control panel.

On testing I found the 1amp bell/strobe fuse open circuit. This fused again when replaced and the bell tested.

With the bell disconnected and a volt meter used to test the bell output on terminals D (12v +) and term B (12v -).... no voltage reading when the bell tested. Further testing revealed that the negative 12v was missing from term B. The Strobe +ve & -ve present on terms T & A but strobe not working. The Bell unit box has never had a new battery.

Further tests revealed that if the bell negative was taken directly from the 12v supply the bell would sound, however the bell would not stop by entering the user code. This led me to conclude that it is the bell negative that that triggers the bell.

These tests have made me think that both the control system and bell unit have faults and should be replaced. Perhaps the whole system except the wiring as the equipment is over 20 years old. Anyone agree?

Thank's Charlie Tango.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back