No Neutral for wall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi made a big mistake!! I ran a switch wire to light switch thinking that i could take a live from it to power wall lights.Now i have no neutral to operate wall lights.Is the only option to run a 3 core or single from ceiling rose though i think this will be difficult. Trying to have center light on one switch & wall lights in the other.

Sponsored Links
In order to have a double gang switch - one gang controlling the ceiling light and the other controlling the wall lights you will need to bring the power through the switch.

You are going to need three cables coming into the switch - one to bring the power(line and neutral), one to go the ceiling rose and another to go the wall lights.

You will need a 25mm back box.

At the ceiling rose connect the power(line) to the centre block of terminals (loop live) and the power neutral to the neutral loop. Earth to the earth terminal.
Connect the power (line) to the common on the ceiling light switch and connect the power(neutral) to a neutral terminal block.
Connect the ceiling rose line to the L1 on the ceiling light switch and the neutral to the neutral terminal block.
Connect a piece of brown cable, same size as switch cable, from Common on the ceiling rose switch to Common on the wall light switch.
Connect the wall light line to L1 on the wall light switch and the neutral to the neutral terminal block.
All the earths go to the earth block.

At the Ceiling rose connect the ceiling rose switch live to the live pendant.
At the wall light connect line to line and neutral to neutral and if applicable earth to earth,

Is the only option to run a 3 core or single from ceiling rose though i think this will be difficult. .

That's the way to do it, difficult or not. Perhaps you should have invested some time in checking out the excellent WIKI at the top of this forum.

Helpfully THERE IS A WHOLE SECTION titled "WIRING DIAGRAMS FOR LIGHTING CIRCUITS".

Sponsored Links
To the **** who gave a thumbs down to TTC's post, a few questions. Please feel free to be logical, rational, intelligent and adult in your replies.

That's the way to do it, difficult or not.
Was that incorrect?

Perhaps you should have invested some time in checking out the excellent WIKI at the top of this forum.
The OP said he had made a big mistake by diving into something on the basis of an assumption which turned out to be false. This false assumption has only resulted in not being able to get some lights to work, but it is possible for false assumptions concerning electrical circuits to result in death. Would you please explain why TTC should not have suggested that the OP did a bit of research first?

Helpfully THERE IS A WHOLE SECTION titled "WIRING DIAGRAMS FOR LIGHTING CIRCUITS".
Is that not true?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back