no power after washing machine blew up

not really the problem socket has 1 wire in it, the socket on the other side of the wall has 2 wires in it, the socket upstairs above it has 3 wires, all are off the same fuse

So logically, can you confirm where this 1 x wire (I hope you mean cable) goes to?

From what you have said, the only fault issue has to be that power isn't getting to the socket that the washing machine plugs in to.

When you reterminated the LNE cores of the cable on the new socket, did you strip back and offer up clean new copper cores?

What type of fuse do you have on this circuit? (long before a cable burns / breaks down I would expect a fuse at the board to pop- which you say it hasn't / didn't).

Sponsored Links
As far as I can tell... The socket upstairs is the point where your spur comes from. Two cables are the ring, the third cable is the spur. This spur cable drops down to the socket below and then onto your washing machine socket - hence two cables at the second socket. As this socket, you say, is still working, the problem is the cable that links it to your washing machine socket. Make sure it is terminated properly at both ends.

Spurs should not really be used in this way - feeding two double sockets. Is the washing machine the only heavy load on the spur?

not really the problem socket has 1 wire in it, the socket on the other side of the wall has 2 wires in it, the socket upstairs above it has 3 wires, all are off the same fuse

So logically, can you confirm where this 1 x wire (I hope you mean cable) goes to?

From what you have said, the only fault issue has to be that power isn't getting to the socket that the washing machine plugs in to.

When you reterminated the LNE cores of the cable on the new socket, did you strip back and offer up clean new copper cores?

What type of fuse do you have on this circuit? (long before a cable burns / breaks down I would expect a fuse at the board to pop- which you say it hasn't / didn't).

yes i do mean cable, no i cannot confirm where it comes from.
stripped cable before installing new socket
washing machine is only load on socket,
using dodgy yellow screwdriver tester, shows power upstaairs butn not on washing machine socket

thanks for your help

As far as I can tell... The socket upstairs is the point where your spur comes from. Two cables are the ring, the third cable is the spur. This spur cable drops down to the socket below and then onto your washing machine socket - hence two cables at the second socket. As this socket, you say, is still working, the problem is the cable that links it to your washing machine socket. Make sure it is terminated properly at both ends.

Spurs should not really be used in this way - feeding two double sockets. Is the washing machine the only heavy load on the spur?

washing machine is only load

upstairs has power, nothing down stairs thou, tested using dodgy screwdriver thing

thanks for yoiur help

Sponsored Links

upstairs has power, nothing down stairs thou, tested using dodgy screwdriver thing

thanks for yoiur help

Firstly, your yellow screwdriver thing is no good for testing live/dead! Use a meter or if you have none test the socket with a table lamp as stated before.

I think you want to check in the upstairs socket with 3 cables in. I think this is where your broken socket is spurred from. Check all the connections in this socket. Could be a bad connection before the washing machine blew up, and the high current caused arking in this upstairs socket, and now there is a bad connection to the downstairs socket. Turn off poewer at fuseboard first...

thanks for yoiur help

Firstly, your yellow screwdriver thing is no good for testing live/dead! Use a meter or if you have none test the socket with a table lamp as stated before.

I think you want to check in the upstairs socket with 3 cables in. I think this is where your broken socket is spurred from. Check all the connections in this socket. Could be a bad connection before the washing machine blew up, and the high current caused arking in this upstairs socket, and now there is a bad connection to the downstairs socket. Turn off poewer at fuseboard first...

how can i check if this where the socket is spurred from? do you electrical gods have 6th sense. :LOL:

We cant be sure obviously, but if your duff socket only has one cable, the one in the bedroom above has 3, (2 ring and 1 spur - hopefully!) then it kind of states that your duff socket is spurred from up here. YOu can check - if you have a multimeter. Turn power off. Disconnect the duff socket, connect the live and earth together. go upstairs, disconnect this socket. Use your multimeter on continuity setting (ohms low range) and check between live and earth on the 3 cables. Hopefully 1 of these will have a reading of something quite low, (prob less than 1 ohm). Go downstairs, disconnect live and earth and leave them seperate. Go upstairs and check the cable again. Should now not be any continuity. This is the spur cable. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back