No power to light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my kitchen light suddenly stopped working. I have tested the wires into the switch and they are dead, the loop in the ceiling is fine. Don;t think it's breaker related as it just the switch, just wondering if I have missed something before calling in an electrician. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Assuming it’s not the light bulb the wires into the switch or the pendant might be loose. Are other lights in the same circuit working.

Blup

How have you tested, and what output?

In the main, if not the bulb, then a screw has worked loose and you have a bad connection, or switch faulty, so slight tug on each wire, and test switch.

However there are exceptions, my landing light has a Smart relay in it, and the voltage to switch is extra low, I think this is unlikely, but there are exceptions.

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the replies, I have removed the light switch and tested the wires that directly run into the switch they are dead. Light will work off the loop but would be permanently on Cheers

Is the switch cable fed from a ceiling rose ?
What are you using to measure voltages present at the switch ?

Hmm not sure, got me thinking I will test all the ceiling wiring just to double check. Loop is live, switched wire is dead, I have a multimeter for testing Cheers

At the switch wiring ,where exactly are you placing the multimeters probes ? One probe touching a conductor connected to a switch terminal ,what is the other probe touching ?

Hi probes test on both connections as shown in pic cheers

Attachments

• Switch.jpg
    Switch.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 47
Also existing wiring on the rose

Attachments

• 332529317_1195462091336534_7232865114139902659_n.jpg
    332529317_1195462091336534_7232865114139902659_n.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 47
It appears that you are connecting to two line conductors ?That is not how to measure voltages.

What is the cable at the ceiling that has red and black conductors ,each in seperate connector blocks , not connected to anything else ?

The red and black connections were wired to the light fitting, I have taken it light off for testing and picture purposes. Can you tell me what connections need to be test on the light switch please. Cheers

Are you sure those 2 ( red and black) wires connected directly to the light fitting ?
Is the light fitting one of two That works from the same switch ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back