No power to underfloor heating and extractor fan.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After thinking I had successfully fixed a plumbing problem I seem to have created an electrical one.

I replaced a Honeywell motorised valve earlier today and re-wired it the same way except for an additional white wire which I had to isolate. The original valve only had 5 wires (no white).

The valves are now both working (good news as I have heating) but now my underfloor heating and extractor fan in the bathroom has stopped working (no power).

In the spirit of Sherlock Holmes I would say that it has to be something to do with the wiring but the wires were replaced in the same positions. The picture shows the original wiring. I can take another picture of the new valve wiring but I can’t figure out how/why it would power the room next door.

any advice would be most appreciated.

Attachments

• 61F86C99-5C12-4F66-A53B-324E70C2428D.jpeg
    61F86C99-5C12-4F66-A53B-324E70C2428D.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 220
Sponsored Links
Where does the dodgy red and black at the bottom left of the picture go to?

a good question! I need to check. Maybe it’s time to bring an electrician in. It’s been fiddled with a few times by various plumbers.

It's hard to see what's what. What's the Blue / Brown cable with White insulation Entering bottom right Feeding a Switch?

Sponsored Links
Is there a black wire on the right hand side ,not connected to anything ? Just lower than the orange wires and to the right ?

Is there a black wire on the right hand side ,not connected to anything ? Just lower than the orange wires and to the right ?

yes! I noticed that. Absolutely no idea.
Tomorrow I’m going to have another look and work out what the hell is going on. It shouldn’t be this complicated.

It's hard to see what's what. What's the Blue / Brown cable with White insulation Entering bottom right Feeding a Switch?
Again. No idea. The mystery continues!

You don't normally run extractor fans off central heating wiring.

And only certain types of underfloor heating would be on a central heating system.

Are you sure these things aren't connected to something else unrelated?

Is it possible you've knocked a switch to the off position or disturbed something when you were doing the work?

And only certain types of underfloor heating would be on a central heating system.

Are you sure these things aren't connected to something else unrelated?

Is it possible you've knocked a switch to the off position or disturbed something when you were doing the work?

it’s quite possible but there is something not quite right with the setup as it’s always been a bit temperamental.

I’m not sure who to call- the plumber or an electrician! Now my Hive system and heating is acting strange- radiators are coming on even though the valve is set to off. That shouldn’t be possible.

it’s quite possible but there is something not quite right with the setup as it’s always been a bit temperamental.

I’m not sure who to call- the plumber or an electrician! Now my Hive system and heating is acting strange- radiators are coming on even though the valve is set to off. That shouldn’t be possible.

Doubt it’s the hive, more likely a stuck microswitch in your zone valve.

Doubt it’s the hive, more likely a stuck microswitch in your zone valve.

the valve is brand new. I think the hive radiator wasn’t calibrated properly. I’ve replaced the batteries and will try again.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Meanwhile here is the revised picture with the new valve wired in. Definitely something within that wiring has knocked out the extractor fan and underfloor heating though I appreciate they should really be wired into the s plan control box.
16665D4A-1E00-4117-8E0E-6316DF6928E8.jpeg

the valve is brand new.
I’ve had brand new Honeywell room thermostat set fail out of the box - think they’ve one a bit downhill since becoming resideo controls keeping (mocking imo) the Honeywell name.

Tbf - not sure that the extractor fan in bathroom should be from your wiring center for heating. Checked all switches are on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back