No RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

I have an electric shower that has no RCD protecting it, just a 45A fuse as per the following...

WYC45.JPG

Is anyone aware of an RCD that could simply take the place of the cartridge fuse, i.e. I unplug the fuse & put the RCD in it's place ? Or will something a little more sophisticated be required ?

Thanks all, TP

Sponsored Links
As the RCD will require to sample both live (outgoing) and neutral (return) current, as it is the difference that indicates a fault, and a fuse like this is live pole only, sadly more is needed. If you are not having the CU changed for the time being, then a RCD added in a small DIN box is the sort of thing you need to add, between the CU and the shower, http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=40391&id=42858
is one example. Other makers offer similar products. To see such a thing on the wall along-side an older consumer unit is becoming quite common, to provide additional protection, for outside power wiring and/or electric showers. (not on the same one of course!)
regards M.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back